1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A nice story for the folks at SJ.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Congrats Simon, Good luck at your new posting! Always good to hear a little good news.

Just make sure you fetch SF the beverage of his choice when you get there, as per board rules of course.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Congrats Simon. Congrats SF and company on another solid hire - without going into detail, this is one in a grand, long line for an excellent company.

To address another point: doodah is NOT a sock puppet. You are going to have to trust me on that. He has been here before, though. Is he a tool/fool, unlike Simon and another young poster some years back whose name escapes me? Yeah. He isn't doing himself any favors here. But he is NOT a sock puppet.

You can definitely get a feel for people from the way they handle themselves here (and in other situations where you interact). I would never hire anyone solely on what I see here, but I'd darn sure start the process based on what I see here. Would I rule people out based on what I see here? Yes. I would. And I have.

Post with your head, folks. It's that simple. It can haunt you or, if done right, it can help you.

3. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

Congrats, Simon. I'll admit, I don't know Simon at all. But still, I think this is pretty cool.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Thus I'd be dead in the water if Moddy had an opening.

Anyhoo, congrats, Simon; years back I was honored to critique some of your stuff, and I could see you had potential, and you've always been a level-headed dude. And referring to your post, Turtle, I wonder what did happen to Huska.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Just awesome. There was no doubt Simon was destined for something great, how cool that the respect he earned at SJ would lead him to this. Congrats to everyone involved!

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He did graduate from Missouri. :D

Congrats to Simon. He's a great kid. I could not be happier for him.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Which somehow did not work against him.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I cannot put into words how happy this makes me.

It's nice to see great news happen every once in awhile in the journalism business.

9. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Hey, I once worked for your unethical anonymous-source-using ass and loved every day of it.

10. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Oh, and serious congrats to Simon and the old shop.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Boooo!

12. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Bravo to Simon, who told me earlier this week about the news and made my day.

On a "maybe things happen for a reason" tangent, I really wanted to hire Simon about a year ago when I was promoted to SE at my small paper. Then the job was frozen, which made my job, um, we'll say less desirable, and ultimate led me to leave the business.

I'm in a happier place now, and Simon obviously is headed for great things. Pleased to see everything work out so well for a great dude with a bright future.

Draft saved Draft deleted