1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A news judgment test

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by writerintraining, Jun 19, 2006.

1. House

House Guest

My wife took some kind of "personality" test for a management job once, where you are told that there are no "right" answers. It's just for them to judge what kind of character you are. My wife said that it was horsehit. By the same reasoning, if there are no "wrong" answers, then why are some people not offered a job based on the results? Horseshit corporate type stuff.

However, I've taken news judgement tests before. They gave me a couple of stories and I chose where to put them in the paper. Not just "here are four A1 stories, rank them." Rather "here are four stories, are they A1 packages or do you chop it to a five-inch brev on A12?" It's handy if they're looking for desk editors.

BTW, she got the job, so she must have had the "right" answers. ::)

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

ENTJ, present and accounted for.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They are personality tests and they are designed to see if you fit into their corporate mold or not.

May not be right or wrong answers, but if you show a pattern of stubborn self-determination in a job that requires teamwork, you may cook your goose.

4. House

House Guest

I'm ENTP. My buddy in college was really into giving people those tests.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I took quite a few of these back in my early management days...would you rather kill your mother or your father, things like that (maybe not quite that).

Draft saved Draft deleted