1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A news judgment test

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by writerintraining, Jun 19, 2006.

1. I have an interview for an Internet position and part of the interview requires a news judgment test. What does that comprise of? How should I go about preparing for it? I've done writing tests but never a news judgment test.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Multple choice: Which of these is news?

a. Dog bites man.
    b. Man bites dog.
    c. Both.
    d. Neither.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Just use your best judgment, unless it's bad. Then do the opposite.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It's very subjective. Years ago, I was bitched at for overplaying something by putting it bottom of the cover. I liked the page anyway and included it my clips. When I interviewed a few months later at a larger, better paper, the sports editor said I underplayed it. But I got the job anyway.

You could look at their current product to get an idea of how they think, but that would do you no good if they believe their current product needs a lot of improvement, which is sometimes the case. Best to just consider their audience and decide what most of their readers would find interesting and go with that.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

D, if you're in SE Asia.

6. Thanks for all of the advice. Is this type of test a multiple choice or something else?

7. Flash

Flash Guest

I would think you'll be given a number of items and asked to rank them according to newsworthiness.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I would say you have nothing to worry about, as long as you're prepared to defend your answers. As in many subjective tests, there are probably multiple "right" answers.

9. Driver 8

Driver 8 Member

Don't forget your No. 2 pencil.

10. accguy

accguy Member

I think a test like this is good for both sides. They get to find out how you think/what you value. You get to figure out what these people think. How? Because if they hire you, they probably have a reasonably similar news judgement. If not, you probably didn't want the job because you'd be constantly fighting.

Better to know that ahead of time rather than two months into the job.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Ace is Yogi Berra.
    Who knew?

12. WSKY

WSKY Member

Sounds like a catch-22 to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted