1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new laptop is in my future

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Sep 16, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If I go Mac, most of the files I move over will be Office-based files: Excel, Word, etc.

I'm not sure I want to get this one checked out if there's a possibility of getting a new one with a big LCD display and all that. ;)

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

If you get a Mac, demand at least one with an Intel chip. They are the way to go these days since computers are cross-basing software now. In terms of RAM, get the most at the price you can spend. In a laptop, get at least 1 GB or more of RAM.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Get a Toshiba or HP laptop if you don't go with a Mac. I had my HP stolen about 5 months back and got a new Toshiba with Vista on it and I love it. The HP was amazing, too, for 2 years before it got stolen. What are you going to use your computer for, if its just Word and such then get a PC.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I got a Toshiba. I LOVE IT. It's a Toshiba Satellite and was actually really inexpensive compared to most laptops.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Well there is THAT.

6. When I was in the laptop market I looked at Mac's as well. They were just too expensive for my tastes. So I bought an HP Pavilion and I couldn't be happier. Granted, it had a major crash about 3 months in of owning it and I lost everything, but I sent it in and got a brand new one and haven't had a single problem since.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Shottie -

I'm a devoted Mac convert. If you're considering a MacBook or MacBook Pro, check here for refurbished models. The warranty is the same as new and you can save some money.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=A35F9A4&nclm=CertifiedMac

8. BRoth

BRoth Member

I've had a Dell for almost 5 years now and while it's heavy and outdated, it's never given me much trouble aside from some freezes every now and then. I essentially use it for just Internet and word processing, so that makes it easy as well.

I was actually having this conversation with a friend last night because he's getting a new dell at work. Just go with whatever you're comfortable with. I've used both Macs and PCs for years now and don't mind either. But, there is a level of familiarity with using a PC for me, which makes it easier.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I use mine for a lot of Web work ... music downloads ... games ... viewing online video ... a lot of different stuff.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

One thought on switching to a Mac... Software. Do you own MS Office? Do you own the Mac version of the software? They are not the same.

If you use Office applications and then need to re-purchase all of those programs, well, that is a lot of additional cost.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That's what I was wondering about. I have PC versions of Office.

12. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I'll admit that I have a lot of software that was obtained at very little expense, and I'll leave it at that. But he's right You'll have to purchase the Office suite, which can probably be pre-loaded when you purchase. Obviously, you'd have to purchase Photoshop and other programs as well. If you have Office files, you can copy them easily.

As I was driving the family down the interstate today, I thought of this post. I guess the truth is that the life of a Mac might not be much more than any other computer. But I suppose the difference comes in what you actually get for your money. I just believe that Mac provides more. Of course, they cost a tad more, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted