1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A molestin' we will go, high ho the dairy-o

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sartrean, Oct 4, 2006.

1. sartrean

sartrean Member

What's the deal with all the molesting news?

School killers molested victims, Congressman molests pages or attempts to molest them, and popular TV is always showing these stings of potential molesters trying to hook up with fake kids via the internet.

Is the news media obsessed with sex? I guess it's no longer "if it bleeds" but if it ejaculates, it leads...

That doesn't rhyme.

2. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Good call. Not sure why the media would overhype a story about a gunman killing five innocent Amish children or a Congressman soliciting illicit rendez vous with child pages. They need to stick to reporting on bake sales and school lunch menus.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hey, I relied on the lunch menu news when I was a kid, so I could plan when to eat at school and when to eat at home.

Anyhoo, I think there's probably been a lot of molestation stories out there. It's just that when a really lurid one sticks out, other ones in the news cycle get more noticed than they would have been. The Amish story is one of mass murder, not of molestation.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If it molests, it passes the tests.

If it skrocks, it rocks.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Regarding the Dateline: To Catch A Predator series, I'm not sure who are the bigger idiots: the perps getting caught or Chris Hansen and his NBC crew.

What kind of idiot really thinks he can just drive over to some strange house and have sex with a 14-year-old girl he just met on the Net? Yeah, I know we're nation of stupid fuckin' morons, but come on!

And does Chris Hansen ever fear that, one day, a perp is not going to react stunned? Honestly, I'm surprised no one has ever pulled a weapon on him during one of these shows.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Losers who hit on 14-year-olds over the internet aren't exactly winning a lot of barroom brawls in their spare time.

7. sartrean

sartrean Member

Yeah, and I'd venture to bet they aren't gettin' any puss either (or penis, depending on what one prefers, you not that there's anything wrong with it [being gay]).

I started the thread because it just seems like in the past week there's 10,000 molestation stories out there on TV-land, local and national.

A former football coach at one of my coverage area high schools was run into the slammer for banging cheerleaders. He didn't need the internet to do it, though.

Well, that happened a while back and he's going to trial for it or something. On the local TV news, the anchor and reporters were wondering if he's going to kill himself. Maybe T.O. could give him some pain pills?

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Yesterday, day 7 of Foleygate, the papers I read led with the political intrigue concerning Denny Haster saying, for the 3rd consecutive day, he won't resign. Obviously news. Page 1 lead?

Page A-6 8 servicemen killed in Iraq, the largest number killed in a single day.

Today, however the feature A1 story is that 13 soldiers were killed, the largest 3 day total ever. And the lead story is that an ex-Aid to Foley said somethin 3 years ago.

Personally, I think the pageboy scandal is serious but not the all consuming story it's being played out as. No one had any sex. But Wolf Blitzer went all breathy in the Situation Room for 1/2 an hour.

Draft saved Draft deleted