1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

a mindset shift?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by novelist_wannabe, Aug 9, 2006.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I think it was on previous incarnations of this board -- seems like years ago, but it's a little fuzzy in my mind -- that preps jobs were widely panned on here as the place people went who couldn't hack it at higher-profile beats. I remember mucho vitriol on the subject. Now, though, there doesn't seem to be the same rush to denigrate this particular sect of our work. Have we mellowed? Are we more enlightened. Or, are there simply more preps writers posting on here than in the so-called old day.

2. ogre

ogre Member

Since Im new here, I can't really answer the question of whether there has been a shift. I will say that I would rather work college or pro beats than preps. It's just more fun for me. There are plenty of folks that can't hack it on that side of the aisle as well.

3. rgd

rgd Guest

There's a lot of very skilled reporters out there who happen to cover preps. I'm under the impression that landing a major college or pro beat job requires a lot of skill and a little bit of luck, if you consider that to be an ideal job.

There's probably a ton of prep writers out there who are just as skilled but haven't been as "lucky." There's also a fair number of prep writers who consider themselves to be the lucky ones. After all, a prep writer gets to sleep in his or her own bed every night.

4. Superman

Superman Guest

Just a matter of numbers. There are a ton more prep writers in this country than college/pro beat writers.

A guy on the prep beat can be a fantastic writer, but many of us in the bumfuck nowhere markets find that you won't land that "break" until you take those clips and put some years in at a bigger place to get noticed by the right people. Even if it means that they keep covering preps for just another few years.

And then there are the good, young writers who think they're owed the world by the third year out of school and develop poor attitudes.

And then there are people like me: young and testing the waters until we find something on which to focus our careers.

Draft saved Draft deleted