1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Mighty Thank You...

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by jgmacg, Jun 8, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

...To everyone chipping in their pieces and their thoughts on the Workshop. Part of the point here is to get young writers reading one anothers' work with a critical eye, and learning not only how to express those criticisms constructively, but how to apply those ideas and notions to their own work. Thanks especially to our new regulars, like DawgpoundDiehard and Heinekenman and Ty Webb for graciously taking the time to cycle through these stories as they come in.

A couple of the Creaking Venerables, like me, are at work on book projects, so can't always get to submissions as quickly as we'd like. So please be patient, if you can.

Here's another tip and truth of any workshop: If you want to get notes, you've got to give notes.

Even if you're a relative novice reading the work of someone more polished, your reading of their work can be of great value to them. And of even greater value to you, as you learn to read closely and critically and begin to understand the mechanics of what we do. So while you're waiting to hear back on a story you've posted, please toggle through the other threads here. Even if you don't comment, there's a lot of good advice floating around, all of which will be applicable, sooner or later, to your own work.

I'd also like to thank everyone here for the personal, and quite selfish, benefits I derive from the Workshop. Not a day goes by that I don't learn something here from each of you. So, again, thanks.

2. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

The pleasure is all on this side of the table, jgmacg. [/thebobsfromofficespace]

In all seriousness, I think this is great for young writers to post their stuff to get some direction. When I graduated college, my first two stops I had no direction from my superiors. Finally, at my third stop, I was given some direction.

Before then, I was making many of the same mistakes I see on here. I'm thankful that I had someone give me direction and wish I had something like this when I was working at those no-help shops.

At the same time, whether is good pieces are posted or good tips by others, this is a great area for all writers, no matter their age or skill level, to learn or sharpen their craft. I know I get something out of it every time I come here.

Draft saved Draft deleted