1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A message of hope

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Very rarely do you ever see me post about anything serious on this board.

Until now.

A good friend of mine, about 3 years ago, was diagnosed with cancer. It progressed rapidly, and finally the doctors told her to get her personal affairs in order, and to call her family.

The cancer had spread to her vital organs, and was now at Stage 4. There is no Stage 5.

That was 3 years ago.

She did not give up, and 6 months later, the doctors ran more tests on her, and discovered something.

No cancer.

6 weeks ago, she was not feeling well. The doctors discovered more cancer, and it was spreading faster than before.

They gave her 48-72 hours.

They ran more tests on her last week.

She is cancer free.

Now, you may believe in Buddah, God, the power of positive thinking, whatever.......but my friend never gave up. She kept praying, and kept believing that this cancer wasn't going to beat her.

Cancer is a bitch of a disease that has claimed far too many lives, and it may end up getting her in the long run, but for right now, she has beaten this damned disease.

Pass this note on to someone who needs it, or if you need it for yourself.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Thanks for sharing, Chef. Truly heartwarming.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I have to pass this on to my teacher from preschool, who just went through radiation and is struggling to regain her strength.

Awesome post, Chef.

4. Cubman71

Cubman71 Guest

As someone who watched his father slowly wither away because of fucking cancer, reading your post really gives me hope that someday, no one will have to suffer from its wretchedness.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

thanks for sharing, chef. an inspirational true story many of us can use right now, present company included. :D ;) :D

6. KG

KG Active Member

Thank you for sharing, Chef.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this, Chef.

Cancer is a heartless bitch. It forces those of us who have survived it to remain constantly vigilant.

8. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I've been very fortunate to not have to deal with anyone close to me having cancer (knock on wood).

This was a great story to read and I'm very happy for your friend. I'm sure she knows how lucky she is and is taking full advantage of living her life to the fullest extent possible, which we all should be doing regardless!

Draft saved Draft deleted