1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A MacBook/iPad Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Mrs. W and I have a 5 year old MacBook which is showing signs of breaking down. It is periodically making strange noises and it is working very slowly at times. We brought it in to be looked at and the people at the Apple store thought that it should work in the short term, but that we should make plans for another purchase.

We've thought about an iPad and a MacBook. I really don't use our MacBook for anything but e-mail, iTunes and internet, while Mrs. W uses the MacBook for the same stuff and also for word processing (her company uses Word).

For those who know this kind of stuff, can we get away with using the iPad for word processing? Or is it safer just to get the MacBook?

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

You can if you buy a Bluetooth keyboard for it; an on-screen keyboard gets tiring quickly if you're writing a lot.

Remember you still need a computer to sync the iPad with.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Do you have a desktop at home?
    I like my iPad, but it wouldn't be sufficient if I didn't have a computer to which I can VPN. The VPN and remote desktop give me a portal to my computer, rather than requiring me to carry a laptop.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I have a work laptop which I use frequently to VPN into work. My wife usually just e-mails documents home and doesn't connect remotely. I'm thinking the MacBook may be easier.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'd recommend just going with a bargain basement Windows or Linux laptop for syncing and word processing. Use the money saved on the IPad. That's what I did. I use the Ipad 80 percent of the time, and I have a serviceable laptop and IPad for under $1,300.

The on-screen keyboard on the IPad is useless. Get a keyboard for it. Until they come up with a way to make the keys tangible on the screen with some sort of clicking or texture, it will be useless for typing.

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

If you decide to get a Mac laptop, splurge for the MacBook Pro. It runs so much faster.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've got the keyboard dock for mine. Works fine when I'm writing.
    I use the office app, which gives me word processing and excel spreadsheets.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Buy the iPad and get an external hard drive. Problem solved.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have a junky Macbook that is a few years old that I use as a carry around. I beat it up and don't feel bad about it. It does everything I need, even runs Adobe's CS5 suite in a pinch.

We also have an iPad at the office, because we had to start developing a custom publication for it.

I just don't get the iPad. It is this tweener thing that does everything and nothing for me. It can't do what a laptop can do, and even though it is more portable, it is mostly a tablet that can do some web and multimedia applications, but without the benefit of an easy interface (and yeah, you can get a keyboard, but that defeats the purpose of a carry around tablet).

It just seems to me that it is one of those things developed by engineers for engineers (much like a lot of smart phones that do more than just a phone, but none of the things as well as a dedicated camera or computer or eReader). And because it is Apple, and they can market the hell out of everything and actually create demand that way, they have been able to sell loads of them.

I'd say get the Macbook. At least you get a whole operating system, not some locked version of half an OS dependent on Apps, most of which suck, and you get a real keyboard. But based on your needs, I suppose you could go either way, with pros and cons, cost and 3G built in (except at a cost) being the major pro for the iPad.

As usual, I am totally not getting something that a lot of other people get with the iPad. So my comments are totally biased.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Get a Dell or HP for about $500 and get an iPad for syncing. The price for both will be close to a price for the low-price Macbook Pro.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I am totally with you on the iPad. I don't get it. So many of my friends have one, but when I ask questions about functionality and about the things I would want to do on it, they end up admitting that they/their kids just play games or watch movies on it and that there are lots of cool apps to try.

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'd agree that about half of the IPad users I know don't really require one.

I keep stats for baseball and basketball gamers on it, so it was worth it simply for that. Reviewing photos at halftime of games saves time. I record interviews with it if I forget my recorder.

And things like March Madness On Demand and watching web feeds of mid-major college basketball is much better on an IPad compared to a laptop.

But I'd say I'm one of the few that uses it for purposes like that. Most people just play Angry Birds with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted