1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A large chunk of roof shingles just slid off my house.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Apr 1, 2012.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Jesus. Some people are bastards.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My guy took 3.5 hours. In 88 degree heat, in late June, in Atlanta, with no a/c in the house.

He did all he could. I vented early in this thread, because I assumed you could just tell the age of a roof. Hell if I know. But if they throw new shingles on an old roof, ain't the inspector's fault.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

In my current position I have seen buildings built that value in the tens and hundreds of millions of dollars, and you do not want to know how many different ways a general contractor will try to screw you over.

The GC has bid, say, $80 million to build the school, every corner that he can cut is profit back into his pocket. It is a dirty, ugly business.

The division is in litigation over ironically a roofing issue where the roofer, subbed out from the GC, failed to install a weather shield properly on the metal roof. It saved the roofer about $10,000 at the time of construction, the clerk of the works didn't catch it, and now it's a $300,000 fix because frost condenses on the interior of the roof, melts and drips. It gives a wonderful pinging sound that is counter productive to learning.

I would also be very wary of buying anything built in the housing boom because all people were trying to do for 10 years was finish a job as fast as possible to get to the new job.

IJAG, keep on them. If you have rot on your roofing beams from leaking water, the inspector should have seen it by just using a flashlight and getting up in the attic.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I still want to know if there are nails in the lost shingles. IJAG, help me sleep tonight.

5. 93Devil

Your wife can't help you with that? :)

Sorry, that was too easy.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't even know what to say about that post, other than that I have a hard time understanding a world that has gone completely amoral.

7. typefitter

TOO SOON.

Let's keep this thread on topic: nailing IJAG.

8. 93Devil

She's doing a good job. Hopefully she realizes that.

What is happening to her right now could happen to anyone. I just don't want to see her get fucked over.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Late to the pity party but here's a helping from me:

Typefitter's right: There are major alarm bells going off. No way in hell shingles should just fall off a roof. No way in hell the inspector did his job in 3.5 hours. No way in hell the buyer was being truthful about the "stripped it down to the walls but didn't do the roof" BS. The roof's the first thing most people do!

IJAG, use this as an excuse to get a few handymen to come over and give you a bid; then, use your reporter powers to determine which one is the most experienced and trustworthy and honest and bake him a batch of cookies and some fresh lemonade and tell him that you think you were hosed by the seller and would you please mind <insert eyelash batting here> following me around and let's look at the pipes and the water heater and the circuit breakers and the attic -- all places where ruthless developers/renovators cut expensive corners.

You're covered by warranty and some pretty good home buyer protections that currently have left the inspector and the seller and the agent on the hook, but those protections are quickly running out.

Edit: Hell, I'll be in Atlanta for a few hours Wednesday morning on the way from Chattanooga to the airport, if you want me to drop by and take a look, no eyelash batting needed.

10. typefitter

Oh, for sure. I was making a sex/fastening instrument pun. I have not learned any lessons.

11. imjustagirl

Those are my favorite puns, Chris.

TV, stop by. I don't cook, but I'll have a can of Pepsi for you. :)

And let me clarify: The house was purchased for $12K after being abandoned for years. The first guy bought it and according to the guy I bought it from put a roof over the front porch, did the roof, then ran out of money. So he bought it for pennies, renovated everything else, etc. How much I believe him, not much. He didn't say any of that was definite. He said "I don't believe it's any older than three years old." Pardon me for not signing up for your version of things.

The inspector was actually really good. All those things you mentioned, TV, are visual observations. That's what an inspection is all about. He can't rip up shingles. On top of that, after I moved in, I got an energy audit for free from Georgia Power, and the guy said I have all the upgrades they recommend. Double-paned windows, the right insulation in the attic, a really new water heater, etc. So while my original list of fixes they needed to make to get it up to code was daunting, they were all done and I feel good about it.

12. imjustagirl

93D if you want to see the inspection, with full photos, PM me your email address.

Draft saved Draft deleted