1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A large chunk of roof shingles just slid off my house.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Apr 1, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I can't go tomorrow. I have no help. I need to know what to do if I lived alone on an island, but one repairers could get to.

And the warranty was supposed to be included in the purchase, like a year paid for by the seller.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

How big is the spot left by the shingles which have fallen off? Do you have anything in the garage/shed/anywhere else that can cover the spot until the repair can be made? Do you have a ladder or does a neighbor have one that you can borrow?

This isn't an easy job if you DO have all the tools and materials needed. It's quite a bit tougher without the stuff and a helping hand (sorry ... not helping, but ... ).

3. imjustagirl

I don't have a garage, or a shed, or anything to cover it with. I don't have a ladder.

4. Find the roofer.
    Check with your realtor or the previous homeowner.
    If the roofer is a licensed contractor they should guarantee their work...
    I have never ever heard of shingles just falling off a roof.
    Just 30 shingles? In normal weather? Yeah, something's faulty and you shouldn't be held responsible.
    How steep is your roof?

You need to find someone to climb up and cover the exposed portion of the roof.

30 shingles is about a square of shingles, which cost $30-$80 depending on the style .. A handyman can put those on pretty quick if there is no major problems with the job .. so you are looking at about $100-$200 for the repair.
    But again try to find the contractor.

5. imjustagirl

The real estate agent won't know. I've already contacted the seller's agent to get contact information for the seller. It was a flip, and he did shoddy work that we made him fix before I bought. But the inspector was up on the roof and didn't notice anything questionable.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Call the fire department

7. imjustagirl

Do I need to bring the shingles into my house? Or are they fine out there on the ground? I'm assuming they're fine, since they're shingles after all :D :D but thought I should ask.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe that shingles are reusable, once they have come off of a house. I believe you will need new ones, which would mean you can leave the old on where they are.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

They'll be fine where they are.

10. Boom_70

Shingles should never get wet. I would bring them in

11. imjustagirl

It wasn't the wetness, smartass. It was any random creatures walking on them and cracking them.

And Liesl, they can be reused if they're not damaged. They looked fine to my untrained eye, but what do I know? :D

12. Boom_70

Did you use a closing attorney? If so I would call them to find out what is in the contract.

Draft saved Draft deleted