1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A kid in control tower in JFK

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Mar 3, 2010.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If you're an aerojunkie like me, and you listen to ATC from around the country all the time, you frequently hear casual conversations between pilots and towers.

OTOH, you usually don't hear too much lighthearted anything out of a big hub ground control tower.

I fall on the fire-the-bastards side of this argument.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Disagree. When I'm sitting on the Runway 23, waiting for a clearance, I don't want to hear something that sounds like, "French, French, French, French. Spanish, Spanish, Spanish, Runway 23,"

Again, but I don't want to find out the hard way.

At a less busy airport, yeah. At JFK, no.

Not all of them. When you hear, "Contact Departure," that's a tower controller releasing the pilot to contact the air traffic controllers who separate traffic on IFR plans or those on VFR plans who choose to flight follow with ATC.

Those he told "clear for takeoff ..." were on the ground.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

They have already had 1 mishap in NY area this year when the guy at Teteboro was talking to his girlfriend while providing flight guidance. That was the one where plane crashed into tour copter over the Hudson.

There is just no room for any possible distraction.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Forget about the kid talking to pilots, why are there any kids (or guests of any age) in there at all?? 'Dad, I need a dollar....where's the bathroom...i spilled my Coke...when are we leaving...'

I get that the dad in this case had a no-school emergency...but if you're in that job, you need a backup plan in place.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Love that movie.

Everytime I hear audio of an atc, I think of that movie.

I think every air traffic controller sounds like John Cusack.

6. Boom_70

and every pilot sounds like Chuck Yeager

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

If John Cusack talks so fucking fast you can't understand him, then yeah, they all sound like John Cusack.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Bingo.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Not to threadjack, but on that same webpage, a story of a pathetic "father" who abandoned his 2-year-old kid after crashing the car.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/crime/article/TODDGAT03_20100303-122802/328030/

10. dmc

dmc Guest

What surprises me is how the pilots all seemed to go along with it.

As far as the whole situation, I wasnt that worried about a crash (of course possible) but the idea that they did not seem to realize that it was wrong and would be found out.

11. Boom_70

I'd say the chances are good that one of those pilots were the ones that dropped the dime.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Is there any truth to the rumor that JetBlue 171 was the airport's only flight to leave on time that day?

Draft saved Draft deleted