1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A.J. Green = Not so wonderlic

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Mar 18, 2011.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

McElroy scored a 48, the second-highest score ever and the highest score by a non Harvard player.
    One Harvard guy got a perfect score — 50 — and another guy got a 48. One of them is the current quarterback at Buffalo.
    I think the perfect score was a punter but don't remember his name.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not true on McElroy. As the link I posted notes, the initial leak said he scored a 48 but it was actually a 43.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

47.5. The only one I couldn't get is the one with the missing letter at the end in the little grid. I had no effin' clue.

But it's rigged in my favor, because I'm white.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Pat McaNally (sp?)

5. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

I'd still draft A.J. Green or Julio Jones. They're both hosses.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Rafael Septien wants in on that party.

7. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I got 18 of 20 for a 45. But I'm white, so that should come as no surprise!

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I almost wonder why a guaranteed first round pick would take these tests. The fact these test scores become public is disgusting.

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

The fact that these tests are not televised as part of the combine is disgusting to me. That would be a hell of a lot more riveting television than Rich Eisen running a 40.

10. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I missed a few that I would've gotten if I had more time, but I also just flat-out got a couple wrong. Number 18, I had no idea what was going on there. I ended up with a 37.5.

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Serious question about Green, the Wonderlic and race? Green is from a semi-rural part of South Carolina, but was considered a stud athlete since his junior high days. I believe he was the only four-time all state player in South Carolina history. He went to the state's most famed football school (Summerville).

At one point did teachers stop trying to educate this kid and just push him through the system because he was the top football player at a school known for producing football players? So is he dumb or just a kid that no one ever pushed him to succeed in school because of his skills?

And yes this can be said of a lot of top athletes.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Pat McInally, a punter/wide receiver from Harvard, got the 50.

And McElroy did not get a 48. He came out a few weeks later and said he only got a 43.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/03/ex-tide_qb_greg_mcelroy_learns.html

And Green's a relative genius compared to Patrick Peterson, who supposedly got a 9:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=pfw-20110317_low_wonderlic_scores_ding_elite_nfl_prospects

Draft saved Draft deleted