1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A.I.G. to Pay $100 Million in Bonuses After Huge Bailout

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 14, 2009.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Just pathetic. I'm not living in poverty or anything, but the idea that my tax money is being used to give incompetent already obscenely wealthy fucks a bonus for sucking at their job just makes me sick and frankly pissed at the government.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Here's a stat regarding AIG that I'm still having a hard time fitting in my mental Samsonite...

The U.S. Government, i.e. all of us, has given AIG more money than it spent on the Marshall Plan. And all that did was rebuild Europe after WW II.

I'll pause now, while all of you get the pitchforks and torches...

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Unfuckingbelieveable

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The vast majority of this board - you know who you are - were on board with the bailouts.

Oh, we have to. It will be financial armageddon if we don't bail out these companies! It will trickle down to main street!

Where you guys got your opinion, I don't know. Probably those dopey tv blabfest shows.

What on earth did you think was going to happen when you bail out corrupt, repulsive companies? Have you seen the bonuses for the past five years? Do you think these people would suddenly see God, and wean off the teat of bonuses?

Bonuses for these assholes is like mother's milk. They need bonuses like people need air. This culture can't be changed. We are trillions in, and the Obama administration has signed off on these bonuses.

You guys are the ones to blame. You signed off on the bailouts. If you somehow believed that the culture was going to change, that's a *you* problem, not an AIG problem.

As I said in September, we should have saved trillions and let these companies fail.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Should have used the money to insure deposits. So that if the banks failed people got their money.

That would be what two trillion worth of insurance?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Never, ever should a financial institution be allowed to grow this large.

I am so close to saying fuck em, but I know people who have their retirements tied into these fuckers.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

So Liddy says he's worried about lawsuits for not fulfilling contracts. Fuck 'em. Let the lawsuits come. Even if AIG loses in every single instance, it will still be worth it to know who these criminals are who are lining up for their extra pay in the face of Armageddon.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Question about terminology:

If you are employee and your are guaranteed a certain amount of pay at the end of the year regardless of performance by you or your employer, wouldn't this constitute "regular salary" and not be a bonus?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Hear, hear. This would also be a very sound business strategy, one that is employed every day by AIG and other insurers when someone dares to make a claim on a car policy. It's legal obstruction. To get their money, the anonymous pirates would have to name themselves in court documents. They would have to pay very expensive legal fees that reduce their overall take. And they would have to submit to depositions that carry huge potential for uncovering their fraudulent activities.

To avoid all that, I bet most of them would take 20 cents on the dollar for the bonuses they're "owed."

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Maybe I need to hear the other side of the argument, but so far, I think I like this idea.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the SEC make all bonuses be conditional on certain thresholds, like financial solvency.
    Wall Street has to change the equation, suspend all bonuses after a stock drop of 15 percent or more, or after criminal legal action against a company. Right now the incentives are all toward taking risk with other people's money. They don't give bonuses for playing by the rules.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Let. Them. Fail.

Draft saved Draft deleted