1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A hole in the ground

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Sep 12, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Great posts, Thomson.
    The politicization of the WTC site is shameful and the blames falls on many, many people, including families of the victims who are even arguing over the order in which the names should be listed on ther memorial.
    But the Idiot in Chief is far down the list on this one and Olbermann is nothing but a blowhard fraud...the O'Reilly of the left.

2. JackS

JackS Member

I know that I, here in New York, have referred to it as "a hole in the ground," so I'm really not offended by either Nagin or Olbermann doing so (and I don't care for either of them). It is what it is.

But let me add this...I'd rather it remain a "hole in the ground" than to put another friggin' 1,776 foot tall bullseye on the city...the macho mentality of a city and country just begging for another attack. So go ahead and take your time if it ultimately results in something more sensible and restrained.

3. OK, here's the whole hole thing.
    To say that this is simply about blaming George Bush for there not yet being a memorial at Ground Zero is tantamount to saying the Gettysburg Address -- which this is not -- is a manual for undertakers:

http://www.hoffmania.com/blog/2006/09/olbermann_gives.html

And the O'Reilly comparison remains demonstrably boneheaded.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think that it was a great speech which was shoehorned into a metaphor which didn't quite fit. That aside, KO has been on fire the past few weeks.

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I suggest that those who feel Olbermann is blaming Bush specifically for the WTC delays re-read the transcript. Seems to me he's criticizing Bush for a lot of the things that have happened since 9/11, and using the "hole in the ground" to represent that.

I especially liked this part:

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Sigh. I think thats what the dems did last time. This country really needs a president who can be something besides "not George Bush".

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

It's worth noting that some of the delays were caused by insurance and legal issues that were only resolved in court in 2005, I believe.

8. "America hushed to listen"? Well, maybe the 450,000 households that watch his show every night. Not exactly a large crosssection of America, IMHO.

9. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Hence the "well, those watching MSNBC."

You know, if you admit that a lefty is good at something, the GOP men in black aren't going to come to your door and whisk you away for betraying the party. You know that, right?

10. Vice versa, champ.

Don't make ridiculous statements like "America hushed to listen" when the test pattern gets roughly the same ratings.

As an orator, Olbermann is very good. Too bad most of what he says is crap.

11. dog428

dog428 Active Member

You'll have to forgive lyman. He's frustrated. He desperately wants to argue the things Olbermann says, he's just not bright enough to do so.

12. Hey, look, it's Good King Asshole! Boy, have I been missing you.

Draft saved Draft deleted