1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A hole in the ground

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

That's what MSNBC is calling Ground Zero tonight. With no disrespect meant toward WTC victims and their families, I ask: Was this term used frequently before Ray Nagin said it weeks ago? MSNBC and Olbermann seem to be none too apologetic about using the term tonight. I just recall Nagin being hammered for saying it, and now it seems like it's gaining momentum as a term handy for criticism of the delays in building something -- anything -- on the site.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I thought this might be about Joe Girardi being buried alive.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Olbermann's about to cut loose on Bush re: the hole in the ground.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who didnt see any problem with what Nagin said? I understood his point: five years later you still haven't decided on what to do with Ground Zero, yet you expect us to have New Orleans brand spankin' new in a year after a Cat 4 hurricane blew through it and flooded the bitch.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Um, they did decide what to do with it. They're building a little something called the Freedom Tower. There might have been a story or two written about it.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Is that why Larry King was asking Guiliani what will happen to the real estate tonight, because everything's been locked in, tied down and set in motion? I've seen 20 different artist renderings for proposed memorials, building, tributes and testimonials for that land, and they havent broken ground on one yet. And you'e missing the point: why is it Ground Zero is okay to sit as vacant as it likes for as long as it likes but Nagin and Blanco are supposed to have New Orleans looking as if nothing ever happened within a year?

7. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I wanted to stand and applaud after Olbermann's comments at the end of Countdown. It was a thoughtful yet vicious attack on the President and his actions since Sept. 11.

Here's the text:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6210240/

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Can't argue with anything there. Marvellously done.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm crossthreading here, but how about Olbermann in '08? He's a great orator!

10. dog428

dog428 Active Member

There was one part of that Olbermann rant that touched on the reason I truly detest George W. Bush -- the opportunities to unite not only this country but the rest of the world that he squandered.

All he had to do was give two shits about the country he's supposed to be leading. All he had to do was put the needs and well being of this country's people somewhere near the top of the list. All he had to do was stop the ignorant pandering to his 1% base and at least attempt to do right by the majority. Had he done those simple, simple things, the man could have gone down as one of the greatest presidents we've ever seen.

But he couldn't, because it went against everything he and his cohorts knew. It couldn't be a situation to unite the country. It was simply one more way to divide it. It couldn't be a situation in which he stopped worrying about his buddies at Haliburton or ExxonMobile. It was just one more way to make sure the guys who got him into office got another nice payday.

I have truly tried my best to understand what the people who continue to defend this guy see in him. I have never been successful. Other Republicans, I have no problem understanding why people endorse them and vote for them. But this ignorant and uncaring ass, I have no clue.

From the day he set foot in office, he has done nothing but shit on every person not in his small base of support. From the hourly workers to small business owners and from the poor to the upper middle class, he has repeatedly and without apology screwed every single one of them at every turn. And then, in some despicable effort to hold onto votes, he turned this nation's largest tragedy into a scheme. He used the fear from that day as fuel for a worthless and unnecessary war and to convince people that you don't change leaders during war time. He has lied, repeatedly, right to us. He has broken the law, admittedly, on several occasions. He failed, without shame, to uphold the oath he took for his office. And yet, time and again, whenever there is criticism, someone comes along to defend him.

There will, undoubtedly, be some mention of Clinton to follow this. That's fine, because for all of Clinton's faults, the one thing you can't say about him is that he didn't care. When shit happened, Clinton went in the shit. When there was a problem, Clinton worked to try and solve it. That's what a president does. That's what every decent president this country has ever elected has done. Certainly, all of those presidents had faults and you might disagree with the approach they took to solve the problems. But at the end of the day, you knew these men were truly trying to do what was right, not just for the Democrats or the Republicans, but for the majority of the country. Because that's what a decent president does.

George W. Bush does not even approach decency.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You finally figured out how to do that, huh? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted