1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

a-hole dry carp bill belichick reconsidered

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Herbert Anchovy, Aug 13, 2006.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

So the media, collectively, is smart enough to win three Super Bowls? Yeah, fucking right.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Pope, I never said that.

The guy struck a comstock lode, just like the uneducated hayseed last week in my state. It happens.

3. OK, Belichick takes a team that had fallen apart and gets them back into the playoffs. Then the team announces mid-season that they're moving to Baltimore. How many coaches would have won under those circumstances, exactly?

How did Bernie Kosar's career go after Belichick benched him? Just looked it up, he appeared in 18 games over four seasons and threw six more touchdown passes before he hung 'em up.

Yeah, it was all Belichick's fault. ::)

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Parcells, Belicheck, Saban, Weis, Larry Brown, Jim Leyland and many others are perfect examples of the Obi-Wan Kenobization (by cattle-herding media idiots) of moderately-competent coaches who happen to have a fortuitous run of talent accumulation, lack of injuries, indirectly-cooperating self-destructing opponents, and in many instances, flat-out luck, and parlay that, along with incessant and unrelenting self-promotion and ego-tripping, into public images as the towering intellects of their respective sports.

Like THEY, and they alone, know the (retch) "right way to play."

Then, they start to believe it themselves. It works fine as all those other factors continue to work in their favor, but when the wheels come off, it doesn't look so wonderful.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But it is fun to watch when that happens.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

No dog in this race but this is some quality vitroil.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Many so-called genius coaches have a shit run somewhere along the line, and it's something they learn from and get better from.
    Just a few off the top of my head:

Belichick in Clevland
    Scotty Bowman in Buffalo
    Mike Keenan in Vancouver
    Lou Pinnella in Tampa Bay
    Dusty Baker in Chicago (although his so-called genious in San Fran is debateable)
    Lenny Wilkens in Toronto
    Mike Shannahan with the Raiders

I know there are many others. These guys are particularly hated in their former cities of employment possibly more for the success they've had else where, then the success they failed to bring with them.

8. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The failures of the late '80s killed the team. Just look at the rubble left in the wake of the early 90s Cavs failures and the Indians mid-90s disappointments.

The frustration always turns inward.

Man, do I hate thinking about this shit.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I lived in Ohio on my college summer breaks and for a whole year during a sabbatical that roughly spanned the Belichick era in Cleveland.

It's well known that I'm not a Browns fan, but Lord, I hate Belichick even after watching him with a more objective eye than the typical Browns fan. I hate Belichick more than I hate any incompetent coach from any of my own favorite teams, even more than sad-ass Don Morton for Wisconsin football.

He was an uber-cocksucker. One of my best buddies from Baldwin-Wallace did a PR stint with the Browns and said he was no more pleasant in private.

And you don't have to dig far to find Cleveland conspiracy theorists who thought Belichick was in on Modell's scheme to run the Browns out of town. The late original Browns era drafts alone -- particularly the draft where they picked Craig Powell -- was really mysterious in some people's eyes. Of course once Modell got his wish, Belichick was dumped like the patsy he was.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

For those who think Belichick was playing out the string with a shit team -- the 1994 edition made the playoffs, and he still was hated by Clevelanders.

As far as the Kosar thing, it was unnecessary and could have been handled much better.

Check that, that was the understatement of the century. To quote Dennis Miller, the Lee Harvey Oswald prison transfer was handled better.

Kosar was an icon, and you don't just throw an icon out the door unceremoniously, especially when Todd Philcox and Eric Zeier were waiting in tow, especially when these were his numbers at the time he was cut ...

1993 CLE 79comp 138att 57.2pct 807yds 5TD 3int 77.2QBrating

On top of all that, he carried himself with the air that his shit not only didn't stink, but was uncut cocaine.

None of that wipes out his three Super Bowls. But then again, his three Super Bowls don't wipe out his uber-cocksucker status either.

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Come on, how could you miss LB and the Knicks/USA?

Draft saved Draft deleted