1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"a historic" or "an historic"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by buckweaver, Nov 4, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

There's no pause when I say it. 'ayhistoric.'

By that definition, it would be 'an home run' because people would just say 'an 'ome run.' Which they don't.

The way people start home is how I start historic. With an 'h' sound.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why would historic be any different than history?

Did you take an history test in high school or a history test?

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Exactly. I don't get how anyone says 'istoric. I sure as hell don't. Enunciate, people.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Pretty good explanation here:

http://www.theslot.com/a-an.html

5. Rhouston

Rhouston Member

I have no intention of working for anyone who said "An." C'mon people, we're supposed to be AP Style whizzes here!

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My vote:

[​IMG]

AYYYYYYYY!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. I wish more people would recognize that that's true of just about every style and grammar debate. A lot of people seem to insist that the a stylebook is etched in stone at some point and can't possibly be debatable. Language always evolves, but at a slow enough rate that it appears static during a single lifetime.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I was going to stay out of this feud. The rule, over the last couple of decades, is "a." That's if you're a hard-and-fast grammarian.

But the above statements are completely jejune.
    Those statements discount the roots and the culture of people, and, shall I say, ignores history.

Latin influenced languages traditionally do not enunciate the "h." Spanish, Italian and to a large degree French, omit the "h" in enunciation. Does that make them wrong? Or ignorant? Or just influenced by peers or regionality?
    It's an example of colloquialisms creeping in and out of traditional language rules.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i was so waiting for this

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

JeJune Cleaver sez "an."

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted