1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"a historic" or "an historic"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by buckweaver, Nov 4, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

"Elements" was written in 1918, wasn't it, Boom? That's what I was talking about. The language has evolved.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a British thing but I always say "an". I think maybe because the slightly silent "h" is followed by a vowel and it's easier to pronounce that way.

I don't know when Elements was originallly published but there have been several revisions. 1991 is the most recent.

I wonder what English newspapers would consider proper. Maybe either is acceptable.

4. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I say an, but would write a.

Hmm.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

For me, it's "a historic," and it saddens me that anyone would think otherwise. :'(

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I use the version that was updated by E.B White. Anyway I'm kind of old fashion. I still hold doors for the ladies and wear a jacket and tie to nice restuarants.

If writing is evolving I wonder if 20 years from now we will think of hip hop as accpetable form.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Putting aside how you write it...how do you actually SAY it? Does anyone actually say 'a historic' whatever? Sounds weird....

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Certainly an odd way to say it.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I can't tell what I'd actually say because now I'm thinking about it too much. I think I'd say "a" as in "way" or say an "a" that sounds like "uh"
    I don't think I'd say "an" but like I said, I'm thinking about it too much right now to know for sure. I'd need a chance to say it organically.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

To me, an historic sounds weird.

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Agreed.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

In order to say "a historic," it necessitates a small but perceptible pause between the words. It doesn't flow off the tongue. The way it flows off the tongue is "an 'istoric."

Now, if you put a modifier in there -- "That was a pretty historic comeback" -- then it alleviates the problem.

But I think the natural inclination, for most people, is to say, "It was an 'istoric comeback."

It's a silly thing about this language. And, bear in mind, I think I'm in the "a historic" camp when it's in print.

Draft saved Draft deleted