1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A high-character guy calls it quits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Don't drop the soap.

2. Key

Key Well-Known Member

It's "Let's Make A Deal"! "Let's Make A Deal"! Hey YF, you wanna "Make A Deal"? I got a third-year Penn State tight end whose career was cut short by injuries! Whaddya wanna gimme YF, 3 posts of sincerity?

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Good thread shottie. I have nothing obscene to say about it.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

So players who left in disgust somehow have less character than this guy? I don't get that.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, it is easier to be part of a bandwagon of naysayers, notwithstanding the merit of their naysaying. Leaving didn't get Silas Redd any further

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I can't think of anyone who said they were leaving in disgust.

Breneman sticking it out, even with the injury issue LTL mentioned, is in contrast to someone like Silas Redd, who took the first plane out of town to USC (where he promptly was mediocre).

8. cranberry

Redd did exactly what he should have done. Breneman didn't have such options. How can you compare them?

9. dooley_womack1

Why should he have done that? He would have gotten tons more notice staying than he did being part of the woodwork at Southern Cal.

10. cranberry

Because PSU football was a cesspool that was being crippled by NCAA sanctions that included being banned from bowl games for four years and a reduction in scholarships. Regardless of his performance at USC, it was the absolute right decision to leave Penn State and get a fresh start. He owed them nothing. The school let him down.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Not to switch topics too much, but when are the three stooges going to be tried? Sandusky has been locked up for several years now, and the other three still haven't gone to trial. WTF?

12. dooley_womack1

And that affects Redd, a senior at the time, how? And he most definitely gets more notice staying. How many more column inches and were dedicated to a program: to USC or to Penn State?

And one evil assistant does not make a "cesspoll." The school's administration was certainly that, however. Laying down the insanely high penalties (rightfully modulated) trivialized the suffering of the victims, putting them in the context of the SMU slush fund or the recruiting of Albert Means. I am not particularly a Penn State fan, but I said then and now that punishments in this situation should have been limited to areas that the court system handles.

Draft saved Draft deleted