1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A "Hard News" Channel?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SlickWillie71, Nov 19, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

there's also CNN's International News broadcast for an hour each day (its on around noon or 1 p.m. eastern) that's strictly hard news... none of the "entertainment"/"sex" stories that pass for news on a regular broadcast.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Take a look:

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/55ABE840-AC30-41D2-BDC9-06BBE2A36665.htm

and:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/?ok

Whither Britney?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Trying to keep abreast of the situation, huh?

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Al-Jazeera is an Al-Qaeda sympathizer. Period.
    I hope Dave Marash is happy that he ruined his career.

5. Ah, no.
    But carry on.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And our media is considered a bunch of Bush sympathizers, a bunch of ragdolls.

Al-Jazeera puts together a report based on a Middle Eastern viewpoint. Maybe they call suicide bombers "martyrs" -- I wouldn't know. But watching a newscast like that may give you and I a perspective on the situation there that we ain't gettin' from CNN, Fox and MSNBC.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

And it's all the press releases from Al-Qaeda.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It is, eh?

I'm sure you've sat there and watched?

9. markvid

markvid Guest

Yes, I have.
    They are so biased it's disgusting.
    They almost revel every time a US soldier gets killed.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Interesting, because Al-Jazeera is almost completely underwritten by the Qatari government. Qatar being one of our largest forward staging areas for the war in Iraq.

Al-Arabiya, on the other hand, is financed by the Saudis. Al-hurra, the network begun by the US, is the one no one in that region watches.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The facts, again: Al-Jazeera was started by BBC journalists, and has pissed off just about every leader in the region, be he moderate or radical. So it must be doing something right. Al-Jazeera is the strawiest of strawmen.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Definitely the best time of the day to watch CNN. Real news for an hour-what a novel concept!

Draft saved Draft deleted