1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A harbinger...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by zeke12, Aug 8, 2006.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

Wasn't he even further to the right than Jesse Helms, if I remember?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The main question I have is, did he lose the shades and hat in the campaign? If he did, bad move.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Judging by his misogyny, I wouldn't doubt it.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I don't remember [/Reagan]

I dunno if too many people know what Petty looks like without the hat and shades. I think he's more remembered for that than Johnny Cash is for wearing black.

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

For all you righties who are convinced that Lamont's victory will send the Earth spinning off its axis and hurtling into the sun, let's do a little exercise:

Let's take a fictional Republican senator, a moderate, who is embroiled in a bitter primary challenge against a more conservative upstart. Are you with me so far?

This incumbent was against the war in Iraq. And for the last several months, he has sharply criticised his own party, not only on the floor of the Senate, but in the studios of Air America, where he is a frequent guest.

But Democrats love the guy. In fact, Molly Ivins, Al Franken and Michael Moore have expressed their admiration, endorsed his candidacy and are appalled at the fact that he is being challenged in a primary. Bill Clinton remarks that this Republican moderate would have been an ideal Secretary of Defense in his adminstration.

This is the exact opposite of what some suggest Connecticut Democrats should have cast aside and pulled the lever for Lieberman tonight. I mean, the guy who has been all but embraced by Republicans gets rejected by Democrats, and people are shocked?

Now: Which candidate gets your vote in the fictional Republican primary? Are you screaming your heads off that there would be no room in the GOP for anti-war legislators?

I think you and I both know the answer to those questions.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yes he did. And promptly assured himself a one-term gig by running against the concept of a state income tax...and then implementing one.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, okay, but first let's stop right there. I can't imagine anybody on the right side of the aisle who isn't delighted tonight.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

All but embraced?

Has Lieberman supported eliminating the death tax?
    Is Lieberman looking to "save marriage?"
    Has Lieberman ever supported a flag-burning ban amendment?

Lieberman is solid liberal dem. A hawk, yes. But he's not Jim Bunning.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I wouldn't go as far as saying that he endorsed Santorum. And Santorum has never faced an opponent of Casey's caliber. I think the race will tighten, but his father's good name will deliver the election for Casey.

Whoa, Rendell Sure Jumped The Message Train....Gov. Ed Rendell (D) told Weekly Standard in its 7/31 issue "Santorum delivers." Rendell said his "overwhelming preference" is Casey. Rendell: "I will eventually campaign with Casey. But, no, you won't see me attack Santorum." Rendell "has not disputed the remarks." Smar: "Gov. Rendell is supporting Bob Casey's candidacy." GOP consultant Christopher Nicholas said that when "it gets into a battle of who to believe on what Santorum has or hasn't done, on one side you are going to have Casey, and on the other" Sen. Arlen Specter (R) and Rendell "vouching for him." Rendell "raised eyebrows" in 12/05 "when he dropped by" a GOP donor's reception "but skipped a Casey fund-raiser in the next room." Rendell "said he probably would not cut a campaign ad for Casey" but he would help raise money (Budoff/Warden, Philadelphia Inquirer, 8/6).

10. I said he basically endorsed Santorum. He certainly didn't refute him, and it doesn't appear he's going to do anything substantial publicly for Casey.

Wouldn't you consider Harris Wofford more substantial an opponent for Santorum than Casey, considering Wofford was a sitting senator when Santorum beat him?

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Bad day for Joes
    Joe Schwarz lost his Republican primary in Michigan.
    Schwarz, who is a doctor, was considered a moderate and supported abortion rights. His opponent was conservative, and beat him up on social issues.
    I think that might be more telling than what happened with Lamont and Jo Jo. It shows that Republicans are drifting away from the moderates of their own party and a general level of displeasure. Could mean that many more incumbents are in trouble.

12. Lieberman is a Scoop Jackson Democrat. Not many of those left, if any.

IIRC, didn't William F. Buckley endorse Lieberman in 1988 when he beat Weicker?

Draft saved Draft deleted