1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A harbinger...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by zeke12, Aug 8, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

With more than 80 percent of preciincts reporting, Lieberman is down 51-48 to Lamont.

Wow.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

'member that Joe's an Indy, too, now.

3. A harbinger that pro-war Dems no longer are welcome in the party? Perhaps. Other than that, probably not.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And good riddance to him.

But I really thought that the polls were soft, that I lot of people were pissed at Joe and were saying things to posters that they weren't going to back up on election day.

This does shock me.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Really, Lyman? That's what you take from this? Considering the Democrats may well run Hilary Clinton for President?

I think pro-war candidates across the board are going to have a hard time in '06. I think this is sad for Joe. I think a lot of things, none of which were that.

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Last poll I saw (and this was a couple of weeks ago), Lieberman wins in a three-way race as an independent.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I'm neither a Connecticut-ian nor an expert, but haven't people been saying Lieberman would be favored in a three-way race?

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

His name recognition alone would make him a favorite in a three-way race at this point.

Be an interesting campaign, for sure.

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

There's so much talk about all of this backlash against Congress, etc.

But seriously. Look around your state. How many incumbents are vulnerable?

The only House seat in Iowa that's remotely vulnerable is occupied by a Democrat, and it has nothing to do with the war. He'll still win, but it's close.

10. Zeke, this was a DEMOCRATIC primary. There are voters called Republicans and independents, too. They aren't quite as ravenous on this subject as the left-wing Dem base is in what allegedly is a Dem state (although it has a GOP governor and 3/5 of its Congress people).

If this were a general election, you might have a point. But in a primary, it looks to me like at least the Connecticut Dems now are demanding ideological purity. Too bad for a guy who voted with his party about 90 percent of the time in the Senate, but I guess that isn't good enough anymore.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Lyman, I realize it was a Dem. primary.

But if you don't think the kind of backlash that can take a guy from the VP slot in 2000 to losing his primary to a complete unknown in '06 is meaningful, I don't quite know what to say. We'll agree to disagree, I guess.

And Hawk -- who's vulnerable? Ask Tom Daschle.

12. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Where'd the Joe-mentum go? lol

Draft saved Draft deleted