1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A great week

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by digger, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

when i was in college, i bought a honda with 138,000 and drove it until it had 225,000. it was tired by the time i sold it.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Our next car probably will be a Honda. As soon as one or both of the two Fords in the driveway bite the dust.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

As many know, I sold cars for about 5 1/2 years, and my dad sold cars for 22 years, before he opened his own lot. He sold his lot a couple years ago.

We both sold Fords the whole time, my grandfather sold Cadillacs.

My mom wanted a Honda Accord. Dad goes and gets one, halfway thinking she wouldn't like it.

She loves it better than any Lincoln or Caddy she has ever driven.

In fact, she'll be getting an 08 Accord this summer, and I've already got dibs on her old one........a 03 Black EX with everything you can get on it with only 60K.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That sounds about right. The first one I got ended up on the side of a mack truck, so it didn't even see 70,000 miles. But I guarantee I'd still be driving that '97 Accord if it didn't meet its maker.

5. digger

digger New Member

Grand Am. Someone I know told me recently I'd be lucky if it made it to 180,000 miles. I was at 160-something.

It was never going to pass inspection again without a lot of work (electrical shit was giving out piece by piece, including hazard lights - something I've also heard goes wrong with all of them), and was due in March.

The car that was given to me is good until next January. I drove it to work today, I think I used like two gallons of gas, the Grand Am would have been about 3-plus gallons (it's 80 miles to work).

6. digger

digger New Member

I'll at least do that. It's a former player from my teams, his parents have always been super-nice to me.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Digger, why don't you move to the same country as the one in which you work?

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Uh ... what?

9. digger

digger New Member

Ha, I live in New Jersey. But it was (sort of) a typo - It's 80 minutes to work, about 60 miles.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Digger, I had a 1992 Civic and drove the wheels off it before I sold it a few years ago. One warning though: Don't count on a warning beeper to remind you to shut off your headlights. You can kill a battery fast on a rainy day.

11. digger

digger New Member

My first new car was a 1996 civic - I drove it about 180,000 miles, then gave it to one of my players when I bought the grand am.

Seeing that I'm now going back to a car even older than my first new car, I wonder if George Bush wants to ask me if I'm better off today than I was 12 years ago?

(Sort of just a joke - I could buy a new car if I absolutely had to. But then I'd be paying off 2 cars at once, and this offer was too good - and cost effective - to turn down).

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Hard to find a hole in that logic.

Draft saved Draft deleted