1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A great week

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by digger, Jan 21, 2008.

1. digger

digger New Member

Ok,

So, my car completely dies last Tuesday. Bad news right?

Except a friend finds out, and his dad just GIVES me a 1991 Honda Civic that is in awesome condition, only 130,000 miles on a car that can probably go 500,000 if you take good care of it (and it has been). They weren't using the car.

So this car gets way better mileage than my car, it'll probably save me $20-$30 a week on gas. Plus, I don't have to have collision on it, that'll save me about $100 a month. So I'm up $200 a month, thanks to my stupid old car (it was a 2003) giving out.

Then, the volleyball club I coach/run goes to a big regional tournament over the weekend, (teams from all over the north east and canada), and our 18 year olds finish 5th, our 17 year olds finish 2nd, and our 16 year olds (the team I coach ) finish 3rd in their age groups - each out of about 20 teams in each age group. This is the best we've done in this tournament, it's really tough competition, and means our teams have already earned spots in the national championships for this year.

It's really just the start of the season for club volleyball, and I'm pumped. Anybody who's ever coached knows what it's like to see your kids do well and watch their enthusiasm grow because of it.

(edited some really crappy writing)

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Sounds awesome, digger.

3. digger

digger New Member

Thanks, I couldn't resist posting, I'm in such a good mood right now.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hell, i feel better just having read that.

solid, digger.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good for you, digger.

But, if I may, what 2003 model did you have that has already given out?

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Sounds like a pretty decent week, Digger. Good going.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Congrats Digger.

Sounds like a good guy to give you a car.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My first Honda dealer had a car that lasted 500,000 miles. My mom's is creeping up to 175,000, and still hasn't had a problem with it. Mine's at 50,000 and the same thing. You've got a good car in your driveway.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

You should buy your friend's dad a case of whatever he drinks as a way of saying thanks.

10. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Indeed.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Or just return the car you stole from him.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Thanks for sharing your good fortune -- it makes a nice break from the bitching around here.

And ditto to those who sing the praises of Hondas. Best car I ever had was an Accord I drove to almost 250K. Looking to buy a Pilot right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted