1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A great, great new Nike commercial

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by tonysoprano, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Boognish

Boognish Member

Perhaps not the best, but my personal favorite:

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

In a country that supposedly values individual freedom, it's entirely appropriate that different singers would put their own spin on the anthem. As long as it's sung with respect, there's nothing wrong with R&B flavored renditions, or country or hip-hop or Latin or anything else. To insist that it always be sung a certain way just because that's the way we are most used to hearing it -- now that would be un-American.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You know, the Super Bowl's back in Tampa this year. Think she could do it again?

4. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Fixed.

5. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

I absolutely agree. Good Lord. This is America people. It's not like Marvin Gaye changed the words. They still have the same meaning to me. Who cares if it's in a different key or in a different arrangment? It looked to me like Marvin put a lot of feeling and emotion into his rendition. That's really all that matters.

To use SigR's words, here's a gigantic "Fuck You" to those of you who want to squelch creativity or a musician's own version of the song just because it doesn't fit into your narrow interpretation of what you think it should sound like.

If it bothers you that much to hear these different versions, just go to any eighth-grade baskeball game, get yourself a tape recorder, and tape the benevolent order of Reindeer Elk singing it out of tune and a capella. Then you can play it anytime you see this commercial, all while waving your hand-held American flags that were probably made in China.

USA! USA! USA! USA!

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Easy, guy. I said I was joking about the unAmerican thing.

As for the people who don't mind effing up the anthem...if that's what floats your boat. Just doesn't float mine.

Carry on, you unAmerican pricks :)

7. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Man, this really makes me want to go out and get some shoes.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

My personal favorite anthem.....

And no it's not because she messed up. It's because of the save!!!!

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Excellent commercial

10. joe

joe Active Member

I love Marvin's version.

And I hate with a white-hot passion that it's played before every fucking American sporting event known to man. Patriotism isn't found in a song, it's found in the way we live.

Fire away.

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Hey! Those 9-10 year old Little Leaguers work just as hard as the Olympians! :)

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I know you were joking. It wasn't just you. It was a response to this:

And this:

Draft saved Draft deleted