1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A great example of I/Me language

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SuperflySnuka, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Great feature by one of the best writers around, Joel Stein, formerly of Time and now of the LA Times...

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,996132-1,00.html

Your thoughts?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I just want to know if Leo likes Patron and Rose's Lime Juice.

3. HAHA, ask MS

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Silver's got a new piece out. He corrects the "Rosie's Lime Juice."
    I think if he's going to earn his cash, MS will have to break some significant stories instead of just his usual "hangin' with athletes" thing. You'd think with all his insight into the lives of football players he'd have some serious insight on the Michael Vick thing, but I haven't read much.

5. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I agree, this is a great use of I/me. It's not over the top, and it adds to the article. Using I/me is a lot better than saying "when he talked with Time for this interview" or "when the magazine requested to talk to DiCaprio."

This was probably the best graph:

Then, as always, he starts to worry. "O.K., it's pretentious that I'm watching this." And again he predicts how it will come out in the article. "Leo looks strangely uncomfortable as he sees himself," he says, mimicking what he fears I will write about him. "There's a certain detachment in him. He's squirmish when his scenes come on." It is kind of him to do my work for me.

The I/me is funny and it takes nothing away from the article, dawg.

6. Silver's article isn't too bad...I actually loved the ending.

but...

"Don't just take it from me; consider the expertise of my former Sports Illustrated colleague and CBS college-hoops announcer extraordinaire Seth Davis, who is working on a book about the '79 NCAA title game between Johnson's Michigan State Spartans and Bird's Indiana State Sycamores."
    Why not just: "Consider the expertise of Sports Illustrated writer and .....

or...

"In June, I interviewed Young in a trailer on the set of a downtown L.A. studio where he was filming a commercial for Reebok. One of the first questions I threw at him was about his troubled teammate Pacman Jones, and whether Young was bothered by the cornerback's run of misbehavior that would lead to a season-long suspension by commissioner Roger Goodell. ..."

Somewhat gratuitous, but not as egregious as previous posts...

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

When I saw there were five -- FIVE! -- pages to that Leonardo piece, there was no way I was riding that bus to the end of the line. I wouldn't want to go grocery shopping with Leo, I wouldn't want to write about going grocery shopping with Leo and I sure as hell don't want to read through five click-throughs about grocery shopping with Leo. It lost me by the end of page one. If I never read another celebrity profile -- however ironic or self-deprecating it is -- that's fine with me.

8. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

But without celeb profiles, reporters might have to do some real work ... gasp!

9. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I try not to read celeb news anymore.

It just feeds the stupid celeb machine, and then the papers go out and rehash the horrible trauma of being Lindsey Lohan, or Paris Hilton, or whomever.

Why deify these people? That's what they want you to do. And yet they can't handle life.

And yet the media keeps swarming back. TV, of course, is the worst.

Draft saved Draft deleted