1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A great column on "Check your privilege." By a college freshman, no less.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, May 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

One-person sample size. Congrats. In fact, the data show that among industrialized nations, few have less economic mobility, relative to birth class, than us.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

And yet we're still the one country where people try to come to, even illegally, with absolutely nothing to try to build a life. Imagine that.

3. Dick Whitman

Yeah, I can't figure out why Mexicans would come here and not Norway.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Especially since you just posted that they have less opportunity here two posts ago.

5. Dick Whitman

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes Tony, you guys are the only country people try to come to.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Dad had a grad degree. Grandpa had his own business. Princeton boy had a head start over other kids whose parents don't have those things or the ability to get those things. Not everyone is a successful businessman or a good grad student.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Appreciate the link OT but the kid lost me at about 200 words into the 1500

9. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

When I was in college, I was passed over for the Editor position for my college newspaper. I was later told in confidence that the person i lost out to would have played the race card which is why they gave him the job. About 10 years later, my wife missed out on a job change (not a promotion but one that would have gotten her on a better schedule) because the other woman preemptively played it. The later I can't say with absolute confidence that's why she got it but there was more than three people (including a manager) who felt it the case.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And?

11. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Being white actually worked against us in both scenarios.

And, yes, I'm aware there was a thread on here several months ago where many here blatantly said it was OK to hire a black person over a white for no reason other than race.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Regardless, that's hardly third base.

More like, he didn't come to the plate with two strikes against him. But then, a very small percentage of people do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.