1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A good reason why a lot of smart Americans are getting turned off by the media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Re: A good reason why a lot of smart Americans are getting turned off by the med

Great post Alma...

Aside from the Zegna ties or whatever, the real problem here is that Mariotti is clueless on the subject he's writing about. This was my argument on a post several days ago.
    The problem is that most journalists (sports writers included) are asking shitter and shitter questions on topics they no nothing about. In this case, Mariotti missed the whole point of yesterday's round. It was the first time in 10 years of professional golf, that Tiger and Phil had been paired together in any event on Thursday and Friday. Now how can that be? What is the tour's explanation for this? Mariotti has developed into more of a polarizing figure with an agenda than a hard grilling journalist/columnist and this drival only proves it. He's a sellout. It's time us to start calling these people out.

You hit it on the head with 'smart Americans,' the problem is, they are a minority. I've been turned off for some time now. Many, many questions go unanswered everyday.

When it comes to golf, I can promise you I'm authority and I can promise you, as you point out, Mariotti missed it.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

When I saw it was Mariotti on golf, I took it with a grain of salt from the outset. He wouldn't have been at the PGA if it was California, he was only there because it was Chicago. When Local Guy is assigned to cover the Big Event that comes through his town once every dozen years or so, he's going to write what he wants to write, never mind if it actually is apropos to the event.

I liked the Mayfair stuff, but he should have left it at that. Weaving it in with Tiger/Phil stuff was apples and oranges. But again, so what? It's Mariotti on golf.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

C'mon, Jay, go to the Cell and wander around, you gutless coward.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Interesting post, Alma, but you're stretching it too far with the Chron reporters.
    The judge is crossing a line that people shouldn't want crossed.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Buck, WTF are you talking about? The judge is crossing a line?

If someone releases grand jury testimony, and there's no shield law in that state, someone's either going to say who released the testimony or someone is going to jail.

The judge is upholding the law, plain and simple.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Re: A good reason why a lot of smart Americans are getting turned off by the med

Mariotti, of course, before his little midsummer drama-queen sabbatical, called Tiger Woods on the carpet after he missed the cut at the U.S. Open. Lots of sarcastic, snide, and ominous potshots about laziness, "lack of focus," "loss of desire," "complacency," etc etc., with his career probably being over. (In, of course, the first tournament he had played after his father's death).

Of course, a week or so later, Tiger Woods went and won the British Open. Oooops.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Maybe Mariotti would consider himself the inspiration for turning Tiger's career back around. ::)

If they can spell, they've got one up on you. Either that or you're trying to connect porta-potties to the issue at hand for some bizarre reason.

8. The Basement

The Basement Member

actually, he wasn't there - for those here that track that stuff ;D

9. no just bad spelling...

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Buck, I couldn't disagree with you more, even as a journalist.

The result of leaking grand jury testimony will be that people will be afraid to testify in grand-jury proceedings. It does not serve a greater purpose than the inherent dangers, and to cloak it in "freedom of the press" doesn't excuse it.

The law was not created to indisciminately punish journalists. It was created with a reason.

11. So, those who think Mark and Lance should be jailed because their sopurces took them to very center of the truth about the steroids scandal need to explain a couple things:
    1. Why is it more important that the government can use journalist as a kind of arm of the police than it is getting out the truth?
    2. Why was it cool when Ken Starr released 3,000 pages of supposedly secret grand jury testimony from Bill Clinton and then released the entire grand jury testimony on video? Wasn't what Starr did a basic scored earth policy toward grand jury secrecy as opposed to what Fainaru-Wada and Williams did?
    3. One more -- how come nobody has denied the biggest points made in the Chronicle investigation.
    Remember when the truth was worth something?
    It's not that the judge did something wrong -- following the law is following the law. The point is that the current strain of right wing government we have is using the laws is wishes to use and stifling the ones it chooses not to use -- even when they are the same law

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Wow -- now there's a prime example of using ad hominems and non sequiturs.

None of that matters. What matters is this: They released grand jury testimony, then refused to say how they got it in a state that has no shield law.

Draft saved Draft deleted