1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A good laugh...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I'd love to hear about the things (cover letters, reader letters, threatening e-mails, etc.) that you or members of your staff have posted on a nearby bulletin in the office....those always good for a laugh. There are a few things here, one about a junior varsity crew team which is "having what some people are calling a dream season." ah yes...

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I got a resume once, and this was maybe 1994, that went on to 12 pages or so, using all of the fonts and display tricks from then state-of-the-art desktop publishing software. It was almost as incomprehesible as some ESPN: The Magazine layouts.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hey, Gizmo font was supposed to be the cool thing. Err, nevermind ...

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I've seen a resume that was designed like a newspaper front. It went straight into the circular file.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I remember getting a resume that had the applicant naming all of the things he'd done in sports .. as an athlete ... and that alone was a load of B.S. We did keep it around for awhile to amuse us from time to time. Best thing, however, was when the guy re-applied a few years later and he had changed a few of those accomplishments!

6. ronalong

ronalong Guest

We had a guy apply once as a stringer, whose resume showed his father had been the editor of his college newspaper and his mother had been a lifestyles editor at a paper in another state before moving to our state. The kid had never written anything and was not working for his college paper, but he felt we should give him a shot because as his resume stated, "writing is a strong family tradition with us and I think it's time I entered the field of journalism."

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I once got a fax from a guy bragging that he'd been named the Saints' No. 1 fan. I scratched my head, said that sounded unpossible and called the team. It was a form letter to season ticket holders. Later that night, what is the closing bit on the local sports telecast from across the street?

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Twice I've received a resume that came postage due.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like that. It gives off an attractive sense of desperation that means you can low-ball the applicant.

10. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Exactly Ace:

"Dude, you couldn't afford a stamp, so we feel pretty confident that you will work for whatever crappy amount we offer you."

It's the american way.

[not trying overly hard for sarcasm here...just remembering my last salary negotiation]

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Damn you. I spent all weekend on that ...

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That's interesting -- I made one of my best hires from the same kind of resume. Guy's still a big-time, respected person in the biz.

Yeah, I thought it was goofy. And then I said, "I wonder what kind of writer a guy that goofy is."

He was great, so he got hired.

Not trying to criticize, LJB, but sometimes, you have to look beyond things a little bit.

Draft saved Draft deleted