1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A gentle "puhlease" to Wilbon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SF_Express, Nov 6, 2006.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Nobody will ever convince me that Armstrong's not a cheater and a thug, bullying people to drop their accusations of him. If there was 1/10th the amount of effort spent on investigating Armstrong as their has been Bonds (at least in this country), Armstrong would already be the pariah he should be.

I'm from Texas and I love Texas, but Armstong has picked up the gangster intimidation and reprisal tactics of the Texan who currently occupies the White House. As someone else said, Fuck Lance Armstrong.

He cheated. All the cyclists cheat, just like track and field. I don't begrudge him trying to keep up with the Joneses in cycling, but this All - American, hangin' with Mathew McConahey (sp?), yellow - band hero - of - all is a crock of crap.

Armstrong is what he is - an utterly ruthless guy who did whatever he had to do to reach the top and who will do whatever he has to do now to protect that legacy. I admire him for his tenacity, I really do. But I also think that the cancer he suffered might've been a side - effect of the 'supplements' he used to achieve his glory. It's like Giambi winning the Comeback Player of the Year award. Do you give a guy an award for overcoming an obstacle he (may have) created for himself?

I'm sure this sounds harsh, but this is how I feel. The best piece that was done on Armstrong was the LA Times piece from about 4 months or so ago. I can't remember who wrote it, but it dug into some good stuff.

And all the people who bash Bonds by saying "Why doesn't he sue for defamation and not give weak defenses like 'How did you get that information?'" That exactly what Armstrong did after the Times' story came out.

This story still hasn't been explored nearly enough. I hope some reporter has the guts and the resources to track this down further.

Draft saved Draft deleted