1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A football BLOG points out everything wrong with ... modern country music

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Sep 18, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Strange but true. This is good writing, and needs to be seen well beyond the FBC universe.

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2008/09/18/why-you-should-hate-tennessee-country-music/#more-6459

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I heart Orson Swindle for writing that.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's so true. Give me a song about reality. About losing your house, about getting your job shipped overseas, about the pain of having your baby daddy run off on you, about realizing your friend is a racist, about having to buy some crap from China from the company you used to work for, about losing a loved one in a drunk driving accident...
    The money has gotten too big for the big-time singers and writers to relate to the audiences they perform for. They all have stylists now, they have trainers and private chefs. And for all the crap the Hollywood left gets, I don't see too many country singers delivering food to Africa or Haiti or doing missions for UNICEF. There are a few who still bring the goods, Trisha Yearwood, Vince Gill, Brad Paisley, but most are only kidding themselves.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Brad Paisley is the man. Talented as fuck, both as a singer and a guitarist, can handle a tender ballad or an uptempo song with appropriate amounts of intensity, and isn't afraid to laugh, especially at himself.

5. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Try this:

Bluegrassy, catchy, and has "Cheater" twice in the title.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Plus, he goes home to Kimberly Williams-Paisley.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Fuck yeah!!! :D

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Thanks for posting that, dixie.

Pretty much sums it up. Though I'm not convinced country music hasn't always been that way.

Willie and Waylon and Hank and Johnny Cash became popular despite the country music establishment, not because of it.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's not true....Willie was a Music Row insider/songwriter for years before he hit it big as a singer. Waylon's first hit records in the late 60s were produced by Chet Atkins. Johnny started on Sun Records but he became a legend on Columbia, one of Nashville's biggest and most prominent labels. As for Hank, his main benefactor was Fred Rose, the city's biggest publishing icon. All of these guys had "outlaw" status applied to them well after they became established.

Now, the two guys who did become superstars without bases of power in Nashville were the Bakersfield boys, Buck Owens and Merle Haggard. They truly did it their own way.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Oh, after they proved bankable, I have no doubt.

Before, though?

And yes, Merle's story is unique.

11. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Ray Charles and Johnny Cash are dead. End of thread.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Willie is still alive.

Respect Willie, or risk bad Karma for eternity.

Draft saved Draft deleted