1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Few Good Men: the book, not the Jack movie.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Msaint, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Msaint

Msaint Member

Apologies if this is the wrong spot to post, I can always delete and move to books thread if necessary, but wanted to pass on a link to an essay anthology that's in the works and, full disclosure, to which I'm contributing. But there might be areas of interest for you, too -- see writing contest link below. Just speaking for myself, it was refreshing to step outside the sports realm for once and write about something a little more personal. Also, one of the reasons I got involved is that ALL proceeds go to a charitable foundation benefiting at-risk men and boys. From the web site...

"More Than a Few Good Men" is an anthology of essays about what it means to be a man in America today. The authors, a wide cross section of men ages 35 to 60, draw upon their experiences with either childhood, coming of age, work, relationships, fatherhood or death and explore the perspectives they have gained from those moments.

Contributors include such accomplished writers as "Mad Men" creator Matt Wiener, "Memoirs of a Geisha" novelist Arthur Golden, and "Not That You Asked" essayist Steve Almond. An NFL Hall of Famer, a former Sing Sing inmate, a (one-time Wall Street wunderkind, and a photojournalist embedded with U.S. troops in Iraq are among the other contributors.

"More Than a Few Good Men" will be published in spring 2010. All proceeds from the book will benefit the Good Men Foundation, a charitable organization founded to support men and boys at risk.

Anyway, while I'm admittedly starting to spread the word about the book well in advance of the release in places that I frequent (okay, lurk), it really is for a good cause...and there are obviously dozens and dozens of tremendously talented (and predominantly male, from what I can tell) writers here, so I thought I'd throw it out there for you to chew on. And if even one of you felt like jumping into the contest, then all the better. It starts today and runs through May 1st.

Thanks, all.

www.goodmenbook.org

http://goodmenbook.org/writing-contest.html

(p.s. Especially for all you Pats fans, the NFL Hall of Famer mentioned above is Andre Tippett)

Draft saved Draft deleted