1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A fad reborn?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, Apr 1, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Lord knows these things run in cycles. I'm seeing guys with their collars flipped up. I saw a guy at least 45 with a collar flipped up, but most were in their teens and early 20s. I pay absolutely no attention to clothing trends. Are the flipped up collars hip again? If so, I might cry. I didn't realize I was old enough to have the fashion trends of my youth repeated. For the record, I probably only flipped up my collar a few times back in the day.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

PROTIP: If it looks retarded, it's a trend.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Yeah, I've seen it quite a bit among college-age dudes. My friends and I affectionately refer to those people as douchebags and handjobs. Fuckin' collar-poppers.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

There's a great T-shirt floating around out there that says "My other shirt has its collar up."

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It's considered preppy. But most true preppies, the kind who actually attended a traditional prep school and are the offspring of prep school alumni, strive for a look that says, "I spent not a moment considering what I'm wearing or how I'm wearing it, I am following the dress code by the most minimal letter of the law and not the spirit of the law, and I would not debase myself by following the herd and popping my collar or doing anything else trendy like wearing a shirt with a logo on it, especially a fucking polo horse."

6. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

http://www.chrisabraham.com/collarUp.jpg

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I blame Pharrell and Kanye West for this.

8. KP

KP Active Member

You guys are just noticing this now? Sadly, it's been a fad in these parts for wayyyyy too long.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Personally I can't wait for this kind of a collar to come into style. The jacket not so much.
    [​IMG]

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

We're a slow lot.

My buddies only do it when really smashed, in an ironic way. They also unbutton their shirts three-quarters of the way down.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I think I grew out of the collar-up phase in 1982.
    I was 12.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The same dickslaps that are doing this are also the ones in the untucked, button-down striiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiped shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirts, with the spiked hair and slamming Jager bombs like it's their job. In short, they're these douchefaces. Nothing wrong with these guys that a good Budwesier bottle upside the temple won't solve.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted