1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Cynical View of Iowa

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 4, 2012.

1. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

I still can't wrap my mind around him devoting a lecture to telling his students to wish people "Happy Holidays" in lieu of anything else.

God-botherer without the God.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I just still can't wrap my head around the fact that some of these candidates have been in Iowa almost regularly since June.

The only person who benefited from it was Santorum. I think any of the others could have gotten exactly what they did by showing up for the first time shortly after Christmas.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I'll take Stupid Citizens for $500

The state with most former governors currently doing jail time.

What Is Illinois?

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

How can you tell the difference?

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I have done time in Iowa and found it pretty charmless.

6. Mizzougrad96

I enjoyed myself when I had to cover games there. Driving through the state sucks, but I've had fun in Ames, Des Moines and Iowa City.

It's not the end of the earth, but it's a very strange place to start the presidential nomination process.

7. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Ding ding

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

A lot of places think they stand for old-fashioned American values.

It's like every team saying they have character.

I'm sure Iowa represents great things to many people, but this is part of how the 'I'm a better American than you' load of shit all got started.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Iowa is pretty much like everywhere else. Parts of it are great, parts of it are terrible and most of it's unremarkable.

10. Mizzougrad96

I just don't think the Iowa view even comes close to forecasting how Americans will vote. The crazy names that have done well there supports that.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Agreed. I was referring to the idea that there's a 'real America' somewhere, or that somehow Iowa escapes the human struggles the rest of the world suffers.

12. That 1 Guy

That 1 Guy Member

On the Republican side. The Iowa Dems have correctly picked the nomination 5 out of the last 7 times they have had to pick a nominee.

Draft saved Draft deleted