1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A cushy new job for Jim Tressel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spikechiquet, Feb 2, 2012.

1. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Terry Bowden is the best COACH in recent Auburn memory. It's too bad he couldn't recruit me to the buffet table, and that's not a difficult task.

Ben Leard was the best QB you could find? Really?

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Just another example of good things happening to good people.

3. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

As far as doing more with less, I have to say I tend to agree to an extent. However, TB did a wonderful job filling holes with ex-cons, I'm sorry, ex-FBS players. Bowden was not highly regarded in Florence by the folks in town. But outside of DSU, they were winning.

4. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

However, sounds like he'll fit right into the Akron-Canton community....

5. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

They're paying Jim Tressel $200k per year for a job they created specially for him! We're talking about a coach who has a show-cause order hanging around his neck from the NCAA because of his false "hear no evil, see no evil" bit at Ohio State. I wasn't told, even though my inbox said yes, I was told. He's made a king's ransom of salary over the years after winning a national title. He doesn't need the money. He shouldn't be able to get a paying job as the dogwasher of Calveras County.

No wonder the whole country is going bankrupt.

6. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

The only thing about this that surprises me is that Youngstown State didn't offer hire him first.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Tressel's actual coaching ability is questionable.

Every coach looks like a genius if he can pay enough to bring in talent by the carload.

Woody Hayes, who couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag, won a lot of games.

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Jim Tressel won five national titles. One of them with Craig Effing Krenzel at quarterback. I'd argue if he wasn't so protective of Jim Bollman, he'd have two at Ohio State.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It depends. If Amato could get his predecessor to recruit another Philip Rivers, then maybe. Maybe.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm hearing one of the Bobs say to Tressel: "What would you say ... you DO here?"

Draft saved Draft deleted