1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A cover version/original version rarity

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Satchel Pooch, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Shit no, it's awesome. It beats the Cat Power version into the ground. Two artsy chicks with great voices tackling this staple....great, great, great.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Everclear butchered "Brown-Eyed Girl" as well -- and added lyrics, which was almost enough to make me pop out the CD and frisbee it out the car window.

3. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Hindu Love Gods (Warren Zevon and members of R.E.M.) did a one-time cover album with terrific renditions of Raspberry Berry, Junko Pardner, Mannish Boy and Battleship Chains. Great album to have around.

From Wikipedia:

The American blues band Hindu Love Gods formed in Athens, Georgia, in 1984. The original line-up was Peter Buck (guitar), Mike Mills (bass), Bill Berry (drums)—all three of them members of R.E.M.—and Warren Zevon (vocals/piano) and Bryan Cook (backing vocals)..........During an all-night (and supposedly drunken) studio session, the four (without Cook) recorded the album Hindu Love Gods, consisting of ten cover songs. The result of this session was released in 1990. The song that received the most attention was a rock version of Prince's 1985 hit "Raspberry Beret," which reached #23 on the Modern Rock charts.

4. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Yeah, that one's not that good, but Buffett's version I have to turn off whenever it comes around. Talk about a total white-bread cover.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

My favorite cover artist is Jerry Lee Lewis (late-career Cash right up there).

His Live at the Star Club captures vintage JLL doing Your Cheatin' Heart, Hound Dog, What I'd Say and Long Tall Sally among others. Legend covering legend.

Al Green (doing Ray Price) For the Good Times

The Clash (doing Bobby Fuller) I Fought the Law

YHS, etc

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Very good call. The cover of "Raspberry Beret" is worth the price of that album alone. I have it on cassette. Is it even out on CD?

Mr. Friend O' got to the Clash's "I Fought The Law" before I did, so I'll throw out another one off the Clash's debut: "Police And Thieves".

High-end covers of Beatles songs are hard to find (I'll agree with others about Joe Cocker's great job on "With A Little Help From My Friends") but I'll throw out "Don't Pass Me By" by the late, great Georgia Satellites.

7. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Some people hate Zevon's Knockin' on Heaven's Door. I sorta like it.

Some people laugh at Linda Ronstadt's Tumblin' Dice. For good reason. (She gets the words wrong.)

YHS, etc

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

A few others that get regular spins on the iPod:

"Brand New Cadillac", done originally by British rockabilly legend Vince Taylor, off the Clash's London Calling. (Mr. Friend O' may recall a decidedly substandard version done at the same time by local Toronto heroes Teenage Head.)

The Clash cover of Eddy Grant's "Police On My Back" may be my fave cover of theirs.

Brian Setzer does a very cool big-band version of Stevie Ray's "The House Is Rockin'".

9. Faithless

Faithless Member

Other good covers (with original artist in parenthses):

"Whiskey in a Jar" - Metallica (Thin Lizzy)
    "The Loco-Motion" - Grand Funk Railroad/Kylie Minogue (Little Eva)
    "Baby Now That I Found You" - Allison Krauss & Union Station (The Foundations)
    "Piece of My Heart" - Janis Joplin/Faith Hill (Erma Franklin); Hill heard the Joplin version for the first time after recording her version.
    "Norwegian Wood" - Hank Williams Jr. (Beatles)
    "Pinball Wizard" - Elton John (The Who)
    "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" - Al Green (Bee Gees)
    "Georgia On My Mind" - by many artists, but the versions by Ray Charles and Willie Nelson are the best.
    "Unchained Melody" - once again by many artists, but the best version goes to the Righteous Brothers

Rush's "Feedback" album is loaded with great covers. My favorites from that album: "Crossroads," "Mr. Soul," "Heart Full of Soul" and "For What It's Worth."

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

That video is painful to watch; I suspect that's way closer to some people's reality than any of us would like to think.

I like both versions, for different reasons. Seger's is almost mournful; Metallica's is angry. I've never been a rock star, but I do travel way more than I want to in my job, and being on the road often generates either emotion -- or, sometimes, both.

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

It is said by Dylan aficionados that G n' R's version of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" is Dylan's favorite version.

12. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Gone Gone Gone by the Everly Brothers and Robert Plant/Allison Krause. The Plant/Krause version is growing on me.

Edit: That would be Alison Krauss.

Draft saved Draft deleted