1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A couple of nicely turned phrases

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

NEW ORLEANS — If the Urban Meyer were Facebook friends with Jeremy Foley and Tim Tebow, they would be in a 3-way "poke" war.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Now that's solid.

3. As was evident on the MacGregor Big Ten column thread, sometimes we become a little too obsessed with phrase turning around here. Pete Thamel is outstanding not because he can drop Facebook references on deadline. He's outstanding because he can get Urban Meyer (to cite one example) on the cell on deadline after Meyer announced his "retirement," when nobody else did. That's what it's all about.

One of my favorite sports writers working is S.L. Price. I'm reading "Heart of the Game" right now, and his prose about minor league baseball is just magical at times. But it wouldn't matter if he didn't also get the guy who hit the foul ball that killed Mike Coolbaugh to sit with him for seemingly hours and explain everything from his Little League days to what Coolbaugh looked like as he lay on the grass.

4. Agreed. THAT'S what a reporter does.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

No big deal.

We all have opinions.

They worked for me.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

even though the smoke and mirror lead is incorrect?

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"In the Battle of Farmville, Nebraska defeated Iowa, 17-7."

Draft saved Draft deleted