1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A couple of nicely turned phrases

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Jan 2, 2010.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I have been following college football through the New York Times a lot this year, and I thought Pete Thamel had a couple of nice lines from the Florida-Cincinnati game.

From the gamer:

"The Bearcat defense had been mostly smoke and mirrors the last two months, giving up an average of 36.5 points in its final four games. As the Bearcats lined up across from Tebow and the Gators, the smoke cleared and the mirrors shattered."

From the follow-up:

"NEW ORLEANS — If the future of the Florida football program had a Facebook page, its relationship status would read, “It’s complicated.”

The coach is taking an indefinite leave of absence. The defining player is off to the N.F.L., and a group of talented juniors appears destined to follow him."

I know some folks will argue the facebook reference is perhaps too "trendy," but it really worked for me.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The Facebook reference would have been trendy three years ago. Now it's whatever that thing is when things aren't trendy anymore but old, unhip people have just noticed it.

(Not that I think it's bad. It's okay as a lead.)

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I guess. But, a few years ago, a general audience wouldn't have understood the reference.
    There's a fine line in there somewhere, so to speak.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I think the term "smoke and mirrors" is better used to describe a defense that is playing well in spite of a lack of talent; as in "the Cincy defense doesn't have a lot of five-star recruits but they've been getting it done with smoke and mirrors."

Here, he says that giving up 36.5 points per game over the last four games is smoke and mirrors. So if that's the case, there really wasn't much different about what Florida did to Cincy and the smoke clearing and mirrors shattering doesn't seem to make sense. But I don't write for the NYT so who am I to say...

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

You're absolutely right.

6. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I don't mind the FB line at all. It's different.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

sportsjournalists.comy?

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"Florida did not let Mardy Gilyard send it any pieces of flair."

9. Not to be a jerk, but I didn't find either of those to be particularly nicely turned phrases. The first was a cliche that he misused and the second just didn't do much for me.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I liked the Facebook one a lot more than the first one.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

I can do better than that particular FB reference.

NEW ORLEANS — If the future of the Florida football program had a Facebook page, its profile picture would look like this:

[​IMG]

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

"Florida has become a fan of Coaches Changing Their Minds."

Draft saved Draft deleted