1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Continuous Journey: 2024 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I mean I think it speaks more to where we are that something all of us would 100 percent be skeptical of 15/20 years so we’re now fine to be plausible because assholes are getting more brazen about it.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

4. jr/shotglass

I'm coming to the slow realization that the big reason conservatives don't like liberals is that for all the free-speech rhetoric thrown around, we don't see anything wrong with shouting anyone down with an opinion different than our own.

(Just like the conservatives themselves, but the point sticks.)

I know I'm as guilty of that as anyone (see earlier Butker post). I think I'm going to try to be a little better on that count.

And I'm going to offer a bit of a flip-flop on Butker. Nobody had those graduates chained to their chairs, and nobody said they had to adopt Harrison Butker's world view. Do I think the college might have vetted their commencement speaker better? Yes, I do. But again ... their call.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Free speech does not mean forbearance. Butker is free to say what he thinks and I am free to say I think he's an enormous asshole. If it happens that a majority of voices share my opinion, well, that's part of living in a society with 330 million or so voices.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  6. jr/shotglass

I'm in agreement with that, as far as it goes. I'm only saying I'm going to stop thinking that I have the only answer when billions of Catholics who still observe Traditional Latin Mass believe Butker's view of the family and gender are the ideal. In short, you do you.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Are there really billions of Catholics in the world? Seems high. I will also post the addendum that I really don't care at all what Butker thinks, and I'm sure if he'd ever heard of me, he'd feel the same way.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The question is, how does that lack of forebearance manifest itself. Some people rather than disagreeing with him (like you saying, he's an enormous asshole, which seems appropriate to me) and moving on (because at the end of the day he's just an idiot football player) feel that anyone who says (i.e. speech) something that a majority of people don't like, should be immediately subject to a boycott or be canceled. Which is their right, too.

When you have a nation of thin skinned people with no one even listening to each other, and way more people taking extreme didactic stances on things, it kind of creates a "mob rule" feel, which is what I think has happened to a degree.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  9. jr/shotglass

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not sure about worldwide, but I can tell you there are way fewer Catholics in America than there used to be 20-25 years ago, for several obvious reasons.

Younger clergy and U.S. Catholics sharing Butker’s views won’t reverse that downward trend.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I would suggest that that the percentage of people who state they are Catholic is significantly lower than the percentage of people who have beliefs influenced by their Catholic upbringing.

I Should Coco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted