1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Clean Pecker Always Taps It

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Late to party on this so I hope this is not a DB, ect ect.

Prominently placed in the Jordan 50th issue of SI is a full page full color ad for a new product from Playtex- intimate wipes.
    Picture of a woodpecker with the caption " A Clean Pecker Always Taps It". The tag line reads;

“Introducing new Fresh + Sexy” wipes by Playtex. The before and after intimate wipe that gets you ready for whatever comes next. CLEAN WHERE IT COUNTS.”

Issue is paper thin so I have to think that SI was hurting for ads if they were willing to accept this one.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Part of the worst ad campaign in human history?

www.adweek.com/adfreak/clean-wood-seeking-beaver-would-you-try-these-intimate-wipes-147088

3. Boom_70

[​IMG]

Might be. Stunned that a magazine like SI would accept an ad like that.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

These are great. Stop with the damn moralizing. There would be no controversy if this was a male grooming product.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It is a male grooming product.

Unisex, anyway.

Pecker. Beaver. Knob. Peach.

You stay classy, Playtex Fresh and Sexy Intimate Wipes.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I would like to know what the difference is between these and Tag body spray ads, on the grounds of offensiveness.

How would you advertise a product designed specifically to clean genitals before intimacy?

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why compare the two ad campaigns? Both are coarse, but in their own way. One doesn't excuse the other.

In fact Tag's was apparently so offensive and ineffective that the product has been discontinued.

How would I advertise it? I wouldn't. But from my earlier link, here's the woman in charge to explain what they think they're doing:

"We wanted to be fun and playful and bold all at the same time. And the campaign lets us be all those things. … When you're clean where it counts, you're ready for anything." —Elaine McCormick, creative director at Grey New York

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

To me, that's exactly what they are doing.

The ads certainly are more family friendly than a half naked woman groping a half-naked man in the typical cologne commercial. And they are creative. Why punish creativity?

And Tag failed because Axe came first and douchebags apparently are brand-loyal.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I'd classify a visual pun on the word pecker "creativity."

We're a half-step away from ad copy that reads "My dick's never been cleaner" - maybe over a picture of Nixon. Maybe not.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I have to ask this: Has any guy every thought, 'damn, I wish I had some handy little wipes so I can clean my pecker before and after?"

Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea, because women have been tucking these little wipies in their evening bags for a long time, but I've never heard of a guy taking a moment to 'freshen up.'

11. Boom_70

Some others on the board:
    "You wanna go deep you need a clean bat"

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

This must be a bizarre trend in selling to men; the current espn mag has a full page ad from Charmin, claiming to be '#1 for #2' or something like that, featuring an interview with Bronson Arroyo about how he wipes his ass. Seriously.

Draft saved Draft deleted