1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Christmas Story

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spnited, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

That is one sad bunny, but who can blame him?

BBAM, you should have gotten it and then taken it the the Antiques Road show. You would have made a killin' on it ;D

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I triple dog dare someone to watch this for 6 straight hours.

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I have watched it for 12 hours straight....so I have no problem triple dog daring you for 6 straight hours..... ;D

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I guess I am full of fail when it comes to issuing triple dog dares.

5. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I've seen it twice since last night. I've also watched It's A Wonderful Life 1.5 times. :)

Merry Christmas & happy holidays to the entire SportsJournalists.com crew.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

How sad is it that when I saw that scene about an hour ago, I thought of your avatar? I think I spend a little too much time around this joint.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

We watch this movie on VCR every Christmas eve at my house. It makes me long for the white Christmases of my youth.

The scene of them going into downtown (it's supposed to be set in Gary, right?) to the Higbee's Department Store to watch the window display reminds me of going into the city and seeing the window displays at AM & A's and Hengerer's department stores.

Was that movie filmed i Cleveland? Looked like the Electric Building in one of the downtown scenes.

Today I recieved the director's cut of "The Natural." Darrin McGavin was a great actor, pulled off Ralphie's dad and the scuzzy gambler parts equally well. RIP.

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

"Ah, rarely have the words flowed from my penny pencil with such feverish fluidity."

9. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

10. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

I remember channel surfing and stumbling on this for the first time while on the road for a game maybe 15 years ago and wondering how the heck I had never heard of it and how I could have missed it. I'm so glad it's grown into the classic it is now. It never gets old. It would have been criminal for anyone other than Darren McGavin to play the old man.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Not a fan, probably because it ties up TBS for the better part of two days. That said, my 31-year-old niece loves it so we have to watch it every year on Christmas Eve at my sister's place while they all make fun of me. Today, my niece gives me a Christmas ornament in the shape of the leg lamp. Lights up and everything. I had to give her some props for that one.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Jean Shepherd was a columnist for Car & Driver for a while, back when I used to read such things. This would have been in 1973-75 or so. Some of the funniest stuff I have ever read.

Draft saved Draft deleted