1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'A Child Development Expert Says Parents Should Never Punish Their Kids'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

My Dad was a belts swinger and loved to use it.

I think I may have spanked my daughter when she was in diapers but can't honestly recall.

I had spanked my son once or twice when he was 2 and he had done something that warranted another one (or so I thought).

I went to do it and saw absolute terror on his face and stopped. I didn't want to be the source of that kid of fear for my kids. Keep in mind when I say spank I mean one smack on the butt and nothing more.

We use timeouts and talks to correct behavior and lots of conversation. I don't want to raise little douche bags but don't want to crush their spirit either.

I think they would rather have a spanking than listen to me drone about respect, courtesy, safety, etc.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My son thinks timeouts are fun. He even started pre-empting us from yelling at him - he'll see a stern look at gleefully scream, "OK, I go in timeout!"

Hokie_pokie, HC and YankeeFan like this.
  3. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

I attended Catholic school from 1st through 10th grade, and lemme tell you, those nuns could flat wear you out with a paddle.

I remember one time having a conference with my mom and the principal, who was the head nun, and I was thinking my mom was going to give them the business for whacking me around on a daily basis.

Nope.

"Just wanted to tell you, feel free to do whatever you need to do with him," she said. "He doesn't listen anyhow."

And so they did. Good times.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If it weren't for the part about them being nuns, that could have been the start of an awesome Poin story.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Or, them being nuns would make it the MOST awesome Poin story.

Big Circus, Hokie_pokie and Batman like this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I see these people with interesting theories on child rearing letting their kids run wild. I can't help but think "That's ok, I only have to put up with your kid for a few more minutes before I finish my meal and leave, but you're going to have to live with him when he's fifteen." Then I grin and tune it out, because I know revenge will be mine in time.

Draft saved Draft deleted