1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'A Child Development Expert Says Parents Should Never Punish Their Kids'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Shit, that would get you hard time in 2016.

Hokie_pokie and novelist_wannabe like this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sad, but true, though I think some just use it as an excuse to avoid doing anything that might piss off mommy and daddy.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This demonstrates my point perfectly. This approach might be perfectly viable in Hays, Kansas. It would criminal in New York City.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Wife of Fart is the bad cop in my house.
    My heart is just made of cheeseburger when it comes to my little ones.
    I grew up in a tough-love household where you'd be taken out for ice cream after an ass-chewing, or even an azz-whooping.
    It's my kind of justice, but I'd rather just go out for ice cream.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Excellent idea by this expert. Also we should never punish criminals. If we gave them what they wanted, there would be a lot less violence.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I overheard my dad tell somebody he was proud of me once. I think that was the parenting mistake that turned me soft.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  7. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

My wife constantly says to me: Where do you think she learned that from? Me: At least she's learning.

My kid is very inquisitive and it isn't to be annoying, she generally wants to know, not be annoying like asking why, but my wife is big on quiet time. Well, she doesn't get much haha. So Alexa will ask a bunch of questions in succession, which leads my wife to say ALEXA, just be quiet!!. I am more patient in that regard and I don't understand my wife's lack of patience. So, then Alexa plays with me, wants me to put her to bed, etc. because my wife says an extra 10 minutes to stay awake. I just think 10 minutes isn't a big deal and isn't worth yelling at my kid for to stop asking questions while reading a story, etc. I am the softy, but don't see the need to be so disciplinary on small things like our daughter staying away 10 minutes longer but that's just me.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I do think that it's better to have people act right because they respect the person doing the asking, don't want to let others down or just have an internal compass that makes them want to do the right thing.

I don't think you get there from smacking people, but I don't think you get there by ignoring bad behavior or making excuses. Not sure where the sweet spot it.

It's difficult.

I do know my wife preferred thatI be the bad cop, and I didn't mind. However, her idea of behavior that needed policing (roughhousing in the house!) didn't always rise to my idea of behavior that needed correcting. So her impression was that I never disciplined the kids.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I have a personal policy against reading anything with "selfie" in the title.

swingline likes this.
  10. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

My dad spanked me and my siblings like he was getting paid by the swing, so I was mostly anti-spanking with my two (maybe a light tap on the bottom when they still wore diapers, certainly nothing more).

I was way less of a disciplinarian than my wife would've liked, mostly because we have great kids and I didn't think 90 percent of the stuff they did rose to the level of meriting an actual punishment.

That said, the idea of never punishing kids might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Giving small people who don't know squat the freedom to potentially harm themselves/others without consequence sounds to me like an ideal recipe for raising a sociopath.

Iron_chet and Ace like this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I dealt with cp as a kid, and while it didn't scar me, I don't think it's beneficial in any way. It scared the shit out of me, but it rarely stopped me from all the stuff that got me in trouble on a fairly regular basis.

How do you deal with your kids, TSP?

Draft saved Draft deleted