1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Celebration of Bo -- streaming video

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Re: Bo Schembechler dead....

Well, they certainly have a lot of time between now and the bowls.

Interestingly, Bo said Wednesday he didn't think there should be a rematch in the title game, and he said the winner of Saturday's game won't want one.

2. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

RIP Bo. As an Iowa fan, I hated the Wolverines (one of my very first and most prominent memories of college football was Rob Houghtlin kicking the field goal to beat Michigan 12-10 at Kinnick Stadium in a 1-vs.-2 game in the rain in 1985), but you guys are right. Bo was an icon of the Big 10 and college football and he will be missed.
    How ironic that he pass before what ESPN is callling "The Game of the Millenium" and, as RockBottom said, it's akin to Bear Bryant dying the day before the Iron Bowl. ESPN needs to rein in Musberger, who just said this is "the most important of 103 wars between Ohio State and Michigan." Um, last I checked it was being played in Ohio Stadium, not Fallujah.
    The wife and I were just watching WXYZ-TV's coverage (simulcast through ESPN), and they had a helicopter hovering over the Michigan buses as they rolled out for Columbus.
    "It's like we're watching the OJ car chase!" she said.
    Well, up there, I'm sure it's just as important.
    Again, RIP Bo.

3. In Exile

In Exile Member

This just in - Woody Hayes has just risen from the dead. It's all even again.

4. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

That's a pretty classy statement by those guys. Glad to see they know when to put all joking aside.

5. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

They just had a reporter on ESPN from the Detroit News say that he actually went to the restroom and didn't come back.
    When he didn't come back, someone went to check on him and he was collapsed on the floor.
    I wouldn't want to see either video, myself. Have some respect for the dead, you know?

6. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Just heard from friends and family back home in Ann Arbor/Detroit.
    The entire region is just in shock, and people are openly weeping on the streets.

Bo was a character. Will never forget being in the same room with him and sharing a few golf strokes with him on the U-M Golf Course.

It's just unbelieveable he died today. If there was one day where I could be in the Ann Arbor News newsroom again, it would be today. I remember reading his canned obit 10 years ago. The only one that existed at the News, I believe.

My only prayer now is that Ohio State fans respect this. I worry that they will be crass. If any of them read this, I hope they take into account what Bo has meant to our greatest college football rivalry. Without the 10-year war with Woody, this would be just another football game. I also hope they take into account Bo's profound respect for Ohio State.

God speed, Bo.
    Enjoy the game tomorrow with Woody. And please, no thrown chairs, sideline markers and projectors, men.

TMM
    LSA Class of '86

7. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Postpone the game?
    Bo would be pissed. Never gonna happen.

Though ... a postponment to say Jan. 8 in Glendale, Ariz.? I'd go for that.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bo would say it wasn't good for college football to postpone it...

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

As a high school football player in Ontario, Canada - quite near to the Michigan border - my high school was a Michigan grad who idolized Bo. We had no choice - not that I wanted any - but to pull for Michigan.

A legend he was, even in the non-taditional markets.

He was, is and always will be one of the first things - if not the first thing - I think of when I hear of the Wolverines.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I went to a Michigan fan board and there wasn't one crass remark from an Ohio State fan. Of course, once they get liquored up tomorrow, that could be a whole different story.

I don't often post on RIP threads, but this one is different. Bo was always a classy guy the one or two times I had to interview him over the phone.

RIP Bo There won't be another like you.

11. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

From an email I just got from a friend in Ann Arbor:

The team was just about to board the busses, and Channel 7 was there. After I went home for lunch I drove by Schembechler Hall, and there were people around staring at the sign with his name on it, and the reporters were interviewing people, lots of people driving by very slowly, including me…..very sad!!!! Fox tent and awning had their Michigan flag lowered to half staff – sniffle sniffle…..

Let’s hope they win one for the General, and not melt down!!

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bo Schembechler was the ambassador for college football that Bear Bryant never got the chance to be and Joe Paterno refuses to become.

Draft saved Draft deleted