1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Candidate for Intervention or Why the Hell do I care?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 22, 2008.

1. We had homecoming last weekend at StumpJump State - my old alma mater.
    I didn't go. Haven't gone for a few years - three kids, under the age of five tends to hamper travel and recreation plans. Several of my old fraternity brothers always go.
    After last weekend's event, one of my fraternity brothers sends me an email summarizing the weekend. Among the items; he ran into an old high school friend of mine. He also attended SJ St., but we weren't real close by then - he was in another frat.
    My old friend, according to my frat brother, was a raging drunk Saturday... slobbering and drooling all over himself, half-passed out, slurring his words and he kept repeating himself; same sentence about every three minutes. Like he's on a fucking loop.
    Looked like hell too, craggy face and grey hair.
    Kind of blew me away.
    Back in college, I remember seeing him at bars. If the drink special - you know, the old $5 all you can drink - started at 8, he'd be belly up at the bar at 7:30 rarin' to go.
    By 9, he'd in the bag and a fucking pity; slurring, can't stand up and repeating the same thing over and over and over.
    That night it was two sentences: "I'm a pretty funny guy, ain't I" (which back in the day he was.. Damn funny), and "You're a hell of a guy, you know that?"
    This was 15 years ago.
    I heard after he graduated he dried out, moved to Tennessee, and got his life together as a school teacher. Guess he fell off the wagon somewhere between Tenn. and W.Va.
    I don't know why, but I have thought about the guy all week. I feel bad for him - because of the guy I remember (the funny, smart kid in high school) and the guy he became.
    It is really fucking bothering me... Which is funny, cause quite honestly, outside of my immediate family I don't give two shits about anyone. I'm one jaded bastard, who could care less about the plight of another.
    But this guy's life and what it has become bothers me.
    I sent out some emails to some old mutual friends to see if they know what has become of him. Maybe try to get the guy some help.
    I don't know.

Anyway, this has been pestering me for several days and I needed to unload it.

Draft saved Draft deleted