1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A candidate for Hondo and friends

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spnited, Jan 20, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

"Search the record of history. To walk away from the Almighty is to embrace decline for a nation," Brownback said. "To embrace Him leads to renewal, for individuals and for nations."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070120/ap_on_el_pr/brownback2008

2. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I wish that Brownback and Co. were deeper thinkers on this stuff. They come off as simpletons.

I think he's right - states throughout history that turn away from the concept of a God i.e. "Almighty" invite, in a way, their own downfall. But it's only because religion provides people with a guide to morals and moral behavior that assists them in forming a workable society. It's not the religion itself - it's the philosophy of unselfishness that guides a nation's principles and laws.

I'd like to believe our civilization is advanced enough at this point that we can embrace and institute the philosophies that religion has espoused - philosophies like tolerance, brotherhood, devotion to family - without feeling like we need to cram Christian prayer into public schools, religion into scientific debate, etc., etc.

If there is a God, I think He/She would believe we are more than ready to take the training wheels off.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Proud to say that I've never voted for that man once.

4. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I hope I don't seem like I'm standing up for him. I dislike him intensely. Faith is a means to an end - at its best, it helps people ground their actions in a ready-made behavioral and philosophical guide. Brownback and Co. treat is as the end itself. It's backward.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Oh, no, you're fine. Just stating my thoughts on the man when I saw the thread. Never liked him, he might be too out there for the Republicans in our family, which tends to be more middle of the road.

6. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I was still living in Kansas when Brownback first entered the political arena. At that time, he had far less of an edge to his Jesus agenda. Obviously, he's learned how to play to a (sadly) large group of voters.

I wish him ill.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This is a perfect opener for Brownback, whose candidacy will go up in glorious flames on a national level, after which he'll be able to claim he's been undermined by the gays and anti-God liberals, giving him a ready-made excuse to distract people from the fact that he's a tool and had no shot in the first place, regardless of his beliefs on Jesus, Ect. (The man, not the Wilco song.)

8. Lots of open-mindedness here, I see.

I don't support Brownback, but I certainly support his right to run.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I don't think any of us are opposed to Brownback's right to run. Some of us simply don't want him to win.

10. There is nobody -- N-O-B-O-D-Y -- fringier than Sam Brownback.
    Run, Sam. make 'em sweat.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Fenian, Senator Tom Coburn is on line one.

12. If he's as vile as you say, how does he keep getting elected?

Draft saved Draft deleted