1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A bowl game in late December in NYC? Sure!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Officials to announce Yankee Bowl, to be played in the new stadium. Snowballs included.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/ncaa/09/29/yankee-bowl/index.html

I think this will not end well.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? I think fans will flock to the bowl. New York at Christmas time? Rockefeller Center? Hell, I'd rather go there than Charlotte, Birmingham or Detroit.

3. Killick

I get the Christmas in NY attraction, but the 4th vs. 7th matchup and the almost certainty of sub-freezing temps and snow... I don't think I'd be lining up. And, of course, NYC isn't cheap. That kind of cash outlay on short notice? I don't know how well that's going to fly with the fans of a 4th and 7th place team. Now, the locals? I think the locals may flock to it...

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There's about 10 other bowl games they could deep-six tomorrow.

I think a bowl game in NYC could make it, if it was a good matchup, but I'm not sure fourth-and seventh-place fans are gonna be that excited about shelling out big bucks to spend most of a week in NYC.

If they could get a matchup something like #2 Big East vs. #3 Big Ten (with some kind of option for ND in a good year), they could draw well.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It's only fair that the Big East get an easy bowl to travel to the way the PAC-10 does with the Holiday an Rose, the Big XII gets with the Alamo and Cotton, and SEC gets with pretty much every damn one of them.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I wouldn't go with "almost certainty" of sub-freezing temps or snow.

From the MSN weather page, the average for December in NYC:

December (low) 32° (high) 44° (precip) 3.53 in (low) -6° (1933) (high) 75° (1998)

Is there a chance? Yes. Also a chance in several other places.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'd have to imagine every major college has a pretty healthy alumni base in NYC, which will probably help attendance. Hell, my in-laws live in Jersey. If Kansas ever plays in it, I'm there.

8. Killick

Wow. Would never have guessed that, IJAG. And Jake, that's a damned good point. Huh, maybe this is a good move...

9. BitterYoungMatador2

Syracuse, Rutgers and UCONN are within 200 miles of NYC, and WVU and Pitt are probably within 400 miles so there's really no excuse for a school to not be able to sell its ticket allotment. And every Big East fanbase, with the exception of USF, has shown no issue with traveling to NYC for the Big East Tournament.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, BYM2, but the Big East Tourney is a big event. This is just more bowl mediocrity. It'll be interesting for a year or two, but once teams start making repeat visits, the interest will really drop off.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How many teams are going to make repeat visits often enough that New York City gets boring? It ain't El Paso. Outside of the BCS title game, the Rose Bowl and the Las Vegas Bowl, this is about the best excuse an alum will find to take a couple days away from the wife and kids.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

As an alum from a Big East school I can say I like the matchup, although I'd rather have the fifth or sixth team from the Big XII. But lets rank the top BIg XII schools over the past few years (1) Tex (2) OU (3) Kansas (4) Texas Tech (5) Missou (6) Okie State (7) Nebraska (8) Colorado (9) A&M (10) K-State and who gives a damn about the remaining two. So, there's a good chance you're getting 5-9. All name recognition schools. Its better than playing the MAC in Toronto or C-USA in St. Petersburg.

Draft saved Draft deleted