1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A bittersweet milestone....running question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

If it's your first run in a long time, you likely had no cardio-endurance strength. Go a couple more times and your time will drop pretty fast.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Frankly, fj, caring enough to do it is a major step in the right direction. Just don't push yourself past what's comfortable, or you'll get discouraged.

For my part, I've determined that in about 20 minutes, I'm going to start that Couch-to-5K plan which ducky linked to. Got to start something. May not get to the 8-minute mile, but the shame is in not trying.

Thanks for the nudge, y'all. Maybe if I can do this right, I'll be pontificating to all of you 40 years from now. ;)

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Good for you, shotty. I'm doing a story on a triathlon coach and his system. He's organizing an ultrasmall tri with a 400-yard swim, 5 mile bike and 1.5 mile run. I HATE running, but figure even that distance won't be impossible for me to endure.

I'm also signing up for a 5K (24 minutes is my goal) in a couple of weeks.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I decided to run more seriously (I would go for light runs here or there) to replace other types of exercise about a year ago. I was in OK cardiovascular shape, but my legs weren't in any running shape. I'm also at that age where everything is harder that it was when I was 26 (26 is NOT old!). I tried to push it too hard, too fast, and got caught up in how fast I could run each mile, rather than doing it the smart way. I think I needed to convince myself I could do things I could do when I was 17. BIG mistake.

I did serious damage to my legs, including a stress fracture of my left tibia. I spent several months in which I couldn't take a step without sharp pain, and I couldn't even think about running for about 4 months. I have been running again every morning for the last 2 months on a treadmill, anywhere from 3 to 6 miles a day. The treadmill is easier on my legs. I put it on an incline of 1 degree to try to simulate the wind and varying terrain of running outside. I am not running nearly as fast as I can yet, and while I get that urge to ratchet up the speed just about every day, my brain kicks in and convinces that little competitive instinct inside that right now it is about getting a cardiovascular workout and bringing my legs back slowly.

I am probably going to take it outside again soon. But I am pretty sure that I will never be able to run again without having to do it through a little pain, which sucks. Stretching helps. I never thought stretching was a big deal until I hurt myself, but now I stretch for about 15 minutes before and after I run, with an emphasis on some things that help strengthen the muscles below my calves (I have freakishly developed calves and toothpick ankles, which was part of the problem).

Whatever you do, shut it down if you feel any pain that doesn't seem quite right. I stupidly tried to run through the pain. It's better to figure out what the problem is and shut it down for a week or two than not be able to run for months.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Pretty fortunate here, I think. All I've got is burning in my lower legs and a nasty blister on my back right heel...

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'll probably hate myself after the 5k and have a few blisters, too. when you don't regularly impact those joints and surfaces it'll hit you hard until they are accustomed to it

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That really wasn't too bad. Five-minute walk at 2 mph, then alternate 60 seconds of 4-mph jog and 90 seconds of 2-mph walk for 20 minutes. I'll do that for a week, then move on to step 2.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I've never been that much into running. I'd rather get on my bike and just start riding. 15-20 mile rides are pretty exhilirating.

But like others have said, anything that gets you outside and doing something aerobically is good.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.coreperformance.com/article.php?p=1&s=1&id=85

According to this article, running is not the best way for most people to get fit. There are other, safer ways.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

There's just too many opinions out there, sp. Not listening to that one. Running has worked for a lot of people for a lot of years.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

You're right. Every so often I'll hear people say all you need to do is ift weights and diet, but too many people have lost weight running and doing cardio to say it's worthless.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Running helped work for me ... Running and an overall change in lifestyle, like eating better. Running is best supplemented with a weight-training program. Through building muscle via resistance, we also make our bones stronger which helps prevent osteoporosis.:)

Draft saved Draft deleted