1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A bittersweet milestone....running question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Jun 15, 2006.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

So for the past couple of months, I've been trying to shed the weight off my fat ass to resemble a human being again.
    I started in the winter with a lof of yoga, pilates and weights. Once spring came around, I picked up walking, then jogging and now running.
    I've had a lot of lung problems for the past 18 months, so running is quite difficult.
    Yesterday I set out to try to run a mile straight through. No stopping for air, no stopping for water, no stopping to vomit.
    So I went to the local high school track. Walked for two laps to warm up. I walk up to the start line, check my iPod for the time and start. My goal was between 7-8 minutes, considering that I walked/ran a local mile event last year in 12 minutes (I stopped to talk to a friend along the way).
    Jogged the first two laps, then picked up the pace on the last two to a full run.
    I reach the finish line shocked that I made it the whole way.

Time? Thirteen minutes. Plus.

Somebody explain to me, how does this happen? I'm not that fat and lazy. I work at a job that requires me to be active for eight hours -- no more sitting in a desk chair surfing the net. I tried to train. I changed the whole way I run. I start off slow and finish strong instead of vice-versa. I have bronchitis and severe allergies, but I wasn't gasping for air.

So why did it take me so long to run a stinking mile? Is there any good that can come from this? I mean yeah, I did finish, and yeah, I kept my heart rate up longer ( :(), but the time was terrible.

Also, I ran the whole thing in lanes four and five. Does that really add that much distance?

Kill me now,
    FJ

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Re: A bittersweet milestone....

Chill. It's a start. You are getting older. It will get better and better - so long as you keep moving.
    You modeling bathing suits in Toronto or something?

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Congrats for running one mile straight through.

Don't knock yourself. It's a process. Keep doing it every day and you'll cut a little more time off.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and fat asses  ;) weren't burned off that fast, either.

Keep on keepin' on.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

nope, you're just slow.... ;)

actually, 12 minutes is a good pace for a walk, dont fret it,.. it will pick up... use that as your zero mark and improve...

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Hey ... good on ya for running a frickin' mile.  

6. farmerjerome

I was. Honestly, I had a goal to be down 20 pounds by the outing. I'm hovering at 12 right now.

I didnt' realize 26 was getting older. Moddy, I think you're the first person to say that to me.
    Let the countdown to 30 begin!  :D

7. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Ahh, you're just being a sports writer.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Hey ... I just turned 46 and you'll look like a friggin' beanpole next to me.  :D

PS. Not kidding.

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Hey FJ...I just started this Couch to 5K running plan I found online (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) and it could/should help with your times.

I don't run at all. As in ever. Congrats to you on running a whole mile.

10. farmerjerome

Thanks. I am proud of that accomplishment. Especially since I ended up in the hospital after last year's race with bronchitis. My muscles were so strained that I couldn't walk right for two days.

No ill effects today. I guess I'm figuring out the proper stretching too.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

26 is older than 18, 20, 22 *** whatever. I didn't say you were getting OLD. That's for people like me. I said you were getting OLDER.

Give it time and we'll bust on you for being a fatass in Toronto just for the hell of it.

12. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Hey...congratulations on lots of positives. First you made a commitment, second your actually went to the track and didn't bail and then you ran your distance goal. Good stuff! The question now becomes, whether you want to run fast or run long. Check out John Bingham's articles on the benefits of running slow. Waddle on!

www.johnbingham.com

http://penguintimes.blogspot.com/

Draft saved Draft deleted